Arizona Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was planning doing hog hunting in 13b at black rock mt. Have the hog packet being sent. Wondering anyone been up there lately this year see the hogs or what the area like. Will a Honda CR-V be able to handle the roads?

·
Super Moderator
14,708 Posts
What Hogs in 13B, sounds like a elk hunt on the Kiabab. None to be seen. I doubt the CR-V will handle it, roads in area are very un-improved.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i talked to the wildlife manager about that and he told me some of the spots to try to find them, it is a really tough hunt and i don't think is worth the 8 hour drive yes he mention around black rock mt and i don't think a honda crv will make it there, there is another hunt around camp verde for feral pigs also.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Yep---about 9 hours for me...go to camp up north and benefit of "maybe" would have to be the thought.

Just about as far as for me to drive to TX for hogs--just about 2 hrs further, and a better guarantee ;-)

If there are feral pigs, any thoughts why they have not multiplied significantly since they are not easily found? I would think, again, based on TX, that they would be growing in population

·
Super Moderator
2,095 Posts
There is a fairly new hunting ranch near woodruff, called Blue Rooster. They have hogs, rams and bison. I think it’s high fence but they wanted to bring the Texas opportunities to AZ. Might be worth checking out versus the long drive up north to 13b.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well from nv was going to drive over from vegas. tx to far to go. going to try it anyway hopefully i remember to come back and update what i found. Arizona blm were u get the info 435-688-3200. UT number but its the right place. just got the pig packet in the mail did not have any info that i did not find online. blm did not really tell me any info on how many are there sense they are pest and ppl dont have to report the kills or what they have seen. ill be going in a month and let u guys know what i find.

·
Super Moderator
14,708 Posts
Well Good Luck, keep us Posted. Theres another hog hunting ranch, dont remember the name, about 10 miles south of Seligman, Dont remember the name, but several members here have been to it, Its posted way back somewhere. Maybe someone can remember, I cant.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Well Good Luck, keep us Posted. Theres another hog hunting ranch, dont remember the name, about 10 miles south of Seligman, Dont remember the name, but several members here have been to it, Its posted way back somewhere. Maybe someone can remember, I cant.
Fort Rock Ranch, Use to be reasonable, Last time i checked price went up.

Green.

·
Super Moderator
14,708 Posts
Cant hunt on the wildlife refuge, Problem still exist today, but the laws are there to protect the public from stray bullets.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I haven't read any laws prohibiting it, and this is straight off fws.gov specifically about the Havasu Wildlife Refuge.

From ducks and geese in wetlands to desert bighorn on the canyon rims, Havasu NWR is known for its variety of hunting opportunities. Probably the best hunting, though, is for Gambel's quail in the upland areas between the river and canyon rims. In a good year, large coveys are literally everywhere in the uplands, and hunters with strong legs and well-trained dogs can find fantastic hunting. Hunters can expect extremely rugged and often very dry hunting conditions, so they should pack plenty of water for themselves and their dogs. Those who make the effort will be rewarded not only with many flushing quail, but also with the spectacular sandstone cliffs of Topock Gorge. An alert hunter may see some Native American petroglyphs, artistic reminders that this desert country has been used by hunters for millennia.

I've read in the regs about seasons and hunts that are open to the Wildlife Refuges, but the hogs aren't included in the regs. Nor is a license required to hunt them.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts