Arizona Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, folks. I've been trying to decide on a .308 rifle to pick up - right now it's a close race between the Savage Axis II XP and the Mossberg MVP Scout rifle. One of my considerations was magazines that hold more than 4 rounds, and the Axis has aftermarket 10 rounders, whereas the MVP Scout will accept AR10 and M1A magazines. The Axis is a bit cheaper, but the extended mags are $90; the MVP is more costly but the magazines will be cheaper.

Anyone have any insight or experience with either rifle?

·
Super Moderator
14,708 Posts
Own 2- 308 rifles, sorry neither one is in model your asking about. I love the caliber though. Great Elk Gun for shorter ranges.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
To tie into this thread, any recommendations on a "next" gun for a newbie? I have:

12 ga shotgun
Slug Gun
22LR rife

I have been considering a 308, but is there a "better" recommendation? I am looking to be able to knock down; deer (axis, white tail, etc...) varmints, hogs, javelin. I like the idea of possibly an elk (not yet ready to go that direction so not a must). I do not really have a budget yet in mind, the boss and I have not discussed ;-) but any low cost options would be better (ammo cost is a factor as well).

Appreciate any thoughts...

·
Registered
533 Posts
To tie into this thread, any recommendations on a "next" gun for a newbie? I have:

12 ga shotgun
Slug Gun
22LR rife

I have been considering a 308, but is there a "better" recommendation? I am looking to be able to knock down; deer (axis, white tail, etc...) varmints, hogs, javelin. I like the idea of possibly an elk (not yet ready to go that direction so not a must). I do not really have a budget yet in mind, the boss and I have not discussed ;-) but any low cost options would be better (ammo cost is a factor as well).

Appreciate any thoughts...
A .243 or a .308 would probably be the logical choice for you Steve. I hunt coyotes, and deer with my .243 and have no complaints. My longest shot on a buck was 476 yards, and he only made it 10 yards before piling up. Some will say that a .243 is too small for deer, but the 7 deer I've killed with a .243 didn't think so. I've also seen my 2 younger brothers, and my dad kill 12+ deer with a .243, and none of them have ever lost a deer. If you're worried about it being too small, a .308 would be a great choice. It will be slower, but pack more punch. However, a 308 is going to be over kill for coyotes and javelina. The good thing about a .308 though, would be the ability to hunt elk with it. A 308 will effectively kill a bull elk out to 400 yards, all day every day. Both are great rounds though. Technically a 243, is just a 308 necked down to accept a .243"/6mm bullet. They use the same case. Both have cheap ammo, and plentiful ammo available. Any store that carries ammo, is going to have 243 and 308 ammo on the shelf 99% of the time. So I would say either of these would be a great round for you to start with.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Thanks...I have shot the .243 a couple of times as well have not a 308. I will do a little more research, do not want to destroy a pig and I like to eat them...so maybe that is the answer as well

Appreciate the advise

·
Registered
489 Posts
My thought on magazine capacity has always been if I need more than two rounds I should stop shooting. That being said, I would recommend either a Mossberg Patriot or a Marlin XL-7. My wife's cousin has an XL-7 in .30-06 and has good things to say about it. Saw one at the local range chambered in .25-06 and that guy could not stop singing it's praise. I have seen and held the Patriot and it looks and feels just like the XL-7. There are also a few favorable reviews of the Patriot on You Tube by some respected gun writers.

Steve, if you are looking for a caliber for deer sized game and smaller the .25-06 is also one you should be looking at. A little more than a .243 but not to big for Javelina and Coyote.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My budget for rifle, several magazines, scope and taxes is about $1200. And I know there are better options, but right now my only 'long' range capability is an old Mosin 91/30. I already have some .308 ammo from the panic a couple years back, because I settled on caliber before rifle. The ones I was looking at that are above my range are the Remington M700 and the Winchester Model 70 but they are above my price ceiling with everything.

I can always upgrade a few years down the line (and maybe by then there will be an even better one out) but I want to pull the trigger on this, pun intended, in the next 6-ish months.

Steve - I hear good things about #4 buck on coyotes. (Since you aren't going to be eating them, I don't think overkill is an issue.)

Rholcomb - I don't expect to unload a magazine on a deer in the field. I'd rather have a larger magazine capacity available if needed, and since I was already looking at new rifles, just factored that requirement in.

·
Super Moderator
14,708 Posts
The 308 is a great caliber for all things, Yotes, PIGGYS, deer, ELK. For pigs just use a lighter bullet in 110 to 130 Gr. range and you will be ok, same for yotes. for elk go into 150 gr area. Ive killed several elk with 140 gr fail safe bullets, flat shooting and relatively fast.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Look into something like this. This is a great shooting gun, that won't need a lot of upgrades. The action and barrel are great, and the trigger is great. The stock is about the only weak part about this rifle. But it can be upgraded down the road. Then find you a good set of rings, a picatinny rail, and a good scope. You'll be much happier going this route in my honest opinion. You could find a nice Vortex Viper scope, vortex rings and picatinny rail, and this rifle in your budget. You'd have one hell of a rifle too. My 2 cents.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...s/_/N-1114860/Ns-MIN_SALE_PRICE?WTz_stype=GNU

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I like the .308. My next will be a total AR-10. Right now i have the Savage model 10-FP-SR bolt gun, in a McMillan A5 stock, Schmidt and Bender 4x12 scope in a LaRue one piece mount. It is suppressor ready and my Sandstorm fits nicely on it. Right now it is just a bench gun, since there is not enough open terrain to use on dogs, and we don't have any pigs (yet). But it is one accurate boom stick!!! The are well priced also, i think i bought the basic gun for $600 or less, it was everything else that cost more than the gun!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Look into something like this. This is a great shooting gun, that won't need a lot of upgrades. The action and barrel are great, and the trigger is great. The stock is about the only weak part about this rifle. But it can be upgraded down the road. Then find you a good set of rings, a picatinny rail, and a good scope. You'll be much happier going this route in my honest opinion.
I do appreciate the feedback. At this point, I'm not willing to compromise on the extended, detachable magazine criteria. Though now that I'm looking at it - the Mossberg MVPs all seem to have the AR-10 (dpms/m1a) mag use. (I'd love one of those down the line as well.) The Tactical runs 600 at Cabelas, while the XP 2 combo runs 450 - even just two extended magazines for the Savage brings that up to almost $700.

Anyone have experience with any of the MVP rifles?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Just remember, price isn't everything. You get what you pay for. The Savage might be a little more, but it will be the better rifle hands down. A savage 12 will run you 450 out the door. A good picatinny rail and rings is going to run you 150. A good scope can be had for 600. For 1200 bucks, and you have a very capable rifle (truthfully if you search hard enough you could do it for 1000 bucks). Mossberg makes a good shotgun at best. I've never been impressed with their rifles. Savage has long been known for accurate rifles. But it's your money.

This is my budget savage. I had it out at the range over the weekend. Not many budget rifles are going to shoot sub moa at 500 yards. This is a 4" group at 500 yards, with a 7-10 mph cross wind.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I get it's not everything, and I knew this project was going to be a bit spendy, even for an introductory rifle. But price is definitely a factor - especially over the lifetime of a rifle. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against Savage, and it's where I was looking for my first rifle until I fell for that Mosin I mentioned earlier.

Most of the video reviews I've seen for the MVP line put it about 1 MOA accuracy out of the box. The Axis II runs about the same, from the reviews I've seen on it. To be honest that's probably better than I'm capable of right now. I don't expect to be taking shots beyond 200y at this point, but once I've had more practice I'll definitely look into something more accurate.

And again, thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely filing it away for the future :D

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I have the axis II in 308. Shoots well. No cheek rest. It's sporting the factory weaver ballastix or whatever scope. They can be had for about 300$ if you shop around. Store price is around 350-375 for the XP scope package. Also the first gen Axis with accutrigger or the Savage Edge same thing different name cuz of a lawsuit or something is about 280.
You can also might be able to find a Remington 700 ADL for under 400 bucks. It's a blind mag, so no detachable. Honestly prefer not having a magazine. Not sure what the use or purpose. If you need to load up on mags might as well have an AR or an SKS variant.
I also have the mossberg patriot that someone else suggest. Good gun for the money. Except mine in is chambered in 375 ruger. Honestly it's quite cheaply made? Well feels like it. Integral trigger guard, cheap painted red dot for the safety. But it shoots and hammers like Thor

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm waiting for it to be delivered to a local FFL, and no scope comes with. (It does have a fiber optic front and ghost ring rear by default, though.) I'll put pictures up when it shows up :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts