Arizona Hunting Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Dad O 6, sounds like you are volunteering yourself to host the annual dove opener contest? ;)

Reactions: Savageman2506

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Opening day contest was so well run last year that there is no way for me to match it😁
Besides our group of 10-15 will be too busy getting fat at Big House cafe.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I hunted my first opening day dove hunt this past year, and it was my first what I would consider "dove hunt" in any real sense at all. It was fantastic. Visited Yuma. Good times with good people. Looking forward to this next year.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Opening day contest was so well run last year that there is no way for me to match it😁
Besides our group of 10-15 will be too busy getting fat at Big House cafe.
I have some family and friends interested in hunting this year as well. I will donate the remaining AHT stickers to this year’s contest. Any other prizes and the scoring duties will be passed to another member this year!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I may be getting involved in this years opening day contest if the road is open to my hunting spot, wink wink!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'd be more than happy to make an opening day contest donationif someone steps up to run it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just for fun, our group does a $20 per person buy in for.
First bird
First to limit
Fewest shots to limit
And (subjective) best shot.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It must be spring time because the doves are starting to show up again in my backyard and the mating displays are underway. How long now to Sept. 1st?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
We can only hope they start shifting focus to shotgun shells for the openers across the nation. But with the price increases announced across the board AGAIN its worrisome. AmmoAZ does get palletes of winchester/federal 100 value pack from time to time. I think their current price is $30/100

·
Registered
496 Posts
We can only hope they start shifting focus to shotgun shells for the openers across the nation. But with the price increases announced across the board AGAIN its worrisome. AmmoAZ does get palletes of winchester/federal 100 value pack from time to time. I think their current price is $30/100
that ain't bad, all things considered. I can remember paying $25 at walmart during Obummer's scare.

·
Super Moderator
13,711 Posts
I look at Wally yesterday, no ammo at all, behind counter, no nothing, I was surprised.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Who knows what will happen, but I’m sure 12 gauge will be getting a lot of love if it hasn’t already. Companies like Federal traditionally have their highest sales volume on or around September 1st and we all know why that is!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Last year was worrisome. Then I saw the shelves fill up with bird shot. This year is a little different though. Lots of people are resorting to shooting 12gauge because they can't find any 556 or 9mm. Those vr80s and ar style shotguns have become extremely popular.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
An AR style shotgun!? No wonder you can’t find any 12 gauge ammo LOL

Although I imagine those are designed to be shot with slugs?

Reactions: Savageman2506

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
An AR style shotgun!? No wonder you can’t find any 12 gauge ammo LOL

Although I imagine those are designed to be shot with slugs?
designed to be shot with anything really. slugs would hurt. shot a few with 3" and its not pleasant. even regular bird shot isn't pleasant, the recoil impulse and the cheek rest slaps you. There are some that are better than others. Its not a new concept but they have really taken off recently and yeah you are right, cant get 12gauge ammo cuz they are all being used to "target" practice.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts