A few trips to Willow Springs

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by az-jim, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Roadkill--nice looking kayak...

az-jim likes this.
  2. thanx, wish i could get it in the water more, was 118 yesterday and today it's spose to top out at 120!

3. az-jim

az-jim Staff Member Mod Premium Member

Thanks Fern, yeah he is a good boy. At the moment I put them on top of each other in the bed of the truck with a 2x4 in between them, fore and aft, and strap them down. I have money set aside and most of the hardware already to build a kayak specific trailer, just need cooler weather and some square tubing. The axle is fully rebuilt, cleaned and painted, new wheels and tires, new lights and wiring harness. I salvaged the parts from a dilapidated boat trailer that was no longer being used. The frame is junk but the rest is ok. It will be far easier to utilize the trailer in the future plus I get the truck bed back and that will make it possible to camp as well. Also it will save me at least an hour total coming and going, since the yaks will already be loaded and most of the gear will stay on them when stored. It should make getting on and off the boat ramp faster as well. I will definitely post pics of the trailer when it’s done.

No they are the Pro Angler 12, Ozark Trail Walmart kayaks. Entry level for sure, but great bang for the buck.

SingleShot20G and bearfoot1 like this.
  4. I just fished willow springs Wednesday and like always didn’t catch squat there. Tore it up at knolls tho. Haiglers is always a honey hole too been slaying there every week until Tonto closed. Good catch.

az-jim and SingleShot20G like this.
  5. az-jim

az-jim Staff Member Mod Premium Member

What size fish are you catching at knoll? Ive never been there, my boss goes there quite a bit and usually has no trouble catching them, mostly stockers I think.

My evaluation of Willow and Woods is, both lakes are fairly easy to fish. Woods seems to fish faster, judging by how we did last summer but the fish tend to be more of a stocker size on average. Willow fishes slower as in it takes longer to catch a limit but the fish are slightly bigger.

SingleShot20G and bearfoot1 like this.
  6. if your keeping and eating as long as their legal i'll take them!

7. Nice trout! i shore fished in Sept and got nada. Couple next to me were pulling them out left and right. Maybe i needed a boat haha. Kept getting snagged. I might have to try there with my john boat

bearfoot1 and SingleShot20G like this.