Age your backstraps and tenderloins!

Discussion in 'The Chuck Wagon' started by rk, Nov 19, 2017.

1. rk

rk I am NOT an Admin!

I have never really given serious thought to aging meat from harvested game, that is until this fall. I am sure this is old news to some, and I have heard it discussed on hunting forums and other places as long as I have been hunting. But I decided to try it this time around. All I can say is...wow, what a difference!

I went ahead and dropped the four quarters, the neck meat, and other trim from this fall's buck at the processor. But I took the backstraps and tenderloins home, which is normal, but this time instead of just cutting them up and freezing them right away, I cleaned them up and put them in a spare refrigerator for 11 days to age.

After that, I sliced them up and vacuum packed them. Most of the steaks went into the freezer, but I kept a few out for dinner last night. I seasoned them with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Then I seared them on both sides in a hot skillet, adding butter at the end and removing from the heat before the milk solids in the butter burned. I let the steaks rest for several minutes, and served them with a salad of angel hair cabbage, diced tomatoes, blueberries, and honey roasted pecan pieces, and a little olive oil and vinegar Italian dressing.

Great mother of pearl! The backstrap steaks were a perfect medium-rare, and were indistinguishable (in my opinion) from a beef filet at a good steak house. I can't believe I have not tried aging meat before now!

Pardon the paper plate...

[​IMG]

2. sounds yummy....looks great (paper plate withstanding) ;-)

rk likes this.

3. Nice. Try them sous vide at 131* for an hour, then seared on a screaming hot cast iron skillet.

Norse, Azblaster and rk like this.
  4. rk

rk I am NOT an Admin!

Sounds interesting. What does that do for them?

5. rk

rk I am NOT an Admin!

Never mind, I looked it up. :)

That process looks useful for thicker cut steaks. The ones I cooked were cut thin enough that just searing them in the skillet raised the internal temp enough to make them med-rare.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017