Aloe Vera Plants

Discussion in 'Hunting Lounge' started by m gardner, May 21, 2007.

1. We took a 6.5 hour hike last Saturday in 6a and came across a spot where someone harvested a couple (at least) aloe vera stalks. The plants had started to grow over the wounds so I figure it's a couple weeks old. What would they want the stalk for? They walked a considerable distance to do it too. The lillies are out now and very pretty.
    Mark

Attached Files:

2. Actually that is an Agave plant, a Parry's Agave if you want to get technical. They are also called Century Plants because they are supposed to bloom every 100 years, don't know that that is accurate tho. It was probably an animal that ate the stalk. An agave is also what tequila and pulque is made from. The indians would also harvest the center stalk and eat them, kinda like artichoke. And if you are careful you can pull the sticker off the end of the leaves and get a needle & thread. When the stalks get full heighth and bloom the stalk will die and dry out. These make nice, lightweight hiking staffs. Just sand them down and varnish or oil and stick a rubber cane cap on the end.

I'm pretty sure the white flower is the Silver Morning Glory.

There is a book you ought to get called "A Field Guide To The Plants Of Arizona" by Anne Orth Epple. It has color pics of all the plants then the facts about them in the back of the book. It ran around $35, I bought it about 10 years ago and when I would take the girls out camping we would go on field trips and learn about the plants. Kept them occupied and we got to try several different ones that were edible. Problem is they would remember them and I would forget and have to learn all over again when we went for walk. They liked to rub it in on old Dad.

3. Oh yea, the aloe vera plants are good for burns. If you get a sunburn or cooking burn then cut off a leaf, split it with a knife and slather the juice over the burn. They also sell it in bottles that is all cleaned up. It is real easy to start as it puts out feeders. Just pull a couple feeders and stick them in the dirt in the shade and give em a drink every couple days. They don't do so well in direct sun.

4. Thanks for the info Slim. The plants were definitely chopped by a machette. They did it expertly , so I figure they've got the start of some tequila by now.
    Mark

5. What they do is cut out the center of the plant, then collect the juice that results, put that in a barrel to ferment for a few days and drink it. That is the pulque. The tequila is is made from distilled juice.

6. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

I immediately thought that Slim was mistaken, in that tequila came from the agave plant. I just Googled the mescal plant and sure enough, it's known as the Agave americana... Way to go Slim.

7. Chief

Chief Guest

I always thought it came from the Beverage Store.

8. Dan....naner naner boo boo......

I may open my mouth and stick my foot in it on occasion, but I seldom type stuff up that results in me tasting my foot.

9. TallPaul

TallPaul Guest

Chief, you crack me up.:roflpmp:

AzSlim thanks for the info. Good stuff right there.

10. rk

rk Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

I have seen that quite a bit in 6A the last several years, but no place else. Mostly in the area north of West Clear Creek. I don't think people are doing it. I have not witnessed it, but I am pretty sure elk are eating off the tender young stalks. I think it is drought-related behavior.