another friday trip

Discussion in 'Hunting Lounge' started by az426, Sep 8, 2006.

1. went up to 5a to scout a bit for upcoming hunt.i saw 2 spike bulls-each in a different spot which was cool but the other thing i saw was something i have yet to see up till now....turkeys,at least 7 or 8 of them,boy can they do a dissapearing act in a hurry.wanted to stay all day but 1/2 days time is all i had.oh yeah,very wet up there also.

2. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

az426,

Do you have an archery bull tag, or rifle tag? I have a late rifle bull elk tag in 5A. Probably won't even start scouting until 10-12 days before the hunt.

One thing I've learned about bull elk. In late November, they won't be where they were in early September.

Thankfully, there's no cow hunt the week before the bull hunt in 5A this year.

3. hey az thunder,i have the 5a archery cow hunt starting on the 22nd..i havent seen anything bigger than a spike but i'll keep an eye out for you.this will be my first time in 5a so we will see how it goes.congrats on the bull tag,those are hard to draw.how many bonus pts. did you have?

4. AZ~ThunderDan

Well, I don't have any bonus points now, but I had 3 going into the draw.

Where have you been scouting? Up high or down low? I hunt the lower (north) end of 5A, usually no higher than 6,800 ft.

TD

5. well so far i have been by the rim road,i dont know much about the area so every trip is new to me,i was actually surprised i even got drawn.i am going back up on the 16th or 17th to take another look around.

6. AZ~ThunderDan

I suggest that on one of your next scouting trips you start at Blue Ridge and work north into the lower country. The rugged country just off the canyon (Leonard/Clear Creek) is a good place to focus. Look for dense trees that adjoin open meadows - near the canyon. 45 minutes before sundown should be the best time to see some bulls. Good luck and keep us posted on your efforts.