Arizona Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, lets get it figured out before we know what we draw for tags......
I have 9 points for elk, because I have been unlucky so far to draw a unit 9 tag. You see, I only apply for that with no 2nd choice, maybe this will be my year.

·
Administrator
6,607 Posts
Garth, I hope you draw that tag. Unit 9 is a sweet unit for elk.

Looking forward to your guidance and input. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Garth, I too have 9 points for elk and put in unit 9 as my only choice. I'm going to hunt it one time before I die God be willing. After these points are gone I'll apply where I think I can get drawn.

G

·
Hi Garth

Hey there Garth welcome. I don't bow hunt. I have a Bow,but don't use it. I have a bum wrist and arm and sholder.... WA WA WA.. I am a gunner now I may get back into it. I still have my Hay bails in my back yard. :lol:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
creed, sounds like we think alot alike. That is what i have said for a long time, I want to hunt 9 one time before I die, then I will apply for easier units.
My son drew it with 2 points, then 2 years ago, my friend drew it with 2 points, and I have spent alot of time there videoing and exploring.
It truely has to be the best hunt for elk. To go into the field and not run into other hunters is a major blessing. And, to go out and blow a cow call and get 3 responses, and the bulls literally run to you looking for he cow is so exciting.
Maybe this will be our year, if so, maybe we can share a campfire. If I draw, I will be there the whole hunt.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tallpaul,
If there is any way you can shoot, get back into it. One thing, the new bows are much easier than the old ones. You can shoot lot less poundage and still maintain your desired speed. If you have a chance, go to the Bowhunter Happening. Bowtech will be there and you can shoot their bows and see what I mean.
As always, let me know if I can help.

G

·
Bow

bowhunter, I have an old PSE compond. Thats what I am worried about, the New Bows- every thing I have been hearing about is all good. Don't forget I am the cheapist guy around. :lol: I was looking at the Matthews Bows and Hoyts and Bowtec. I can't make my mind up about witch is better for me. Heck , I still looking at varmit guns and looks like it's a .223 cal. but not witch Manufacture. :roll:

G

·
Use to be a bow hunter, many years ago. A parachute accident, age and 4 years in Vietnam has placed some physical restrictions on what I can and cannot do. I can still pull a bow, I just can't pull it enough times to get the amount of practice I need to become proficient enough to feel comfortable in a hunting situation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oddly enough, since there are only 14 members currently on this site, let me be the THIRD one of us that has 9 bonus points and I only put unit 9 for my first choice with no second choice!! Freaky!!!

Marvin

·
Administrator
6,607 Posts
Marvin, all of you should have much better odds this year, now that most of the Taulman-era non-residents drew their last straw.

We can all thank the many thousands of Arizona sportsmen who pushed for the return of the 10% cap. Good luck to all you Unit 9 - Elk loyalists.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well, I will break the string! I put in for unit 9 as well, but I only have 7 points. Surely one of us will get drawn and no offense, but I hope it's me!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
You guys have more patience than I do. I just started putting in for archery bull as first choice, the rest are rifle cow. Used to put all choices for rifle cow - I like to hunt and eat elk, am a freezer filler more than trophy hunter. Some day lightening may strike and I will get a bull tag but in the meantime I will enjoy eating cows and waiting.

I took my first mulie in Jan with a bow and am hooked - actually was hooked before I took him due to some goodies that walked up on me my first year archery hunting with my recurve. Since they stayed outside of my range I now shoot a bow with training wheels and can reach out and touch them a little farther away.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whoever draws a 9 tag needs to make an open invite to the rest of us so we can join in and savor that special feeling we get when we walk thru those woods.
In fact, if anyone here draws that tag, and I dont, I will help you scout it, (that's how bad I want to be there).

·
Registered
511 Posts
Watch out Garth, someone may take you up on that.

There are 8 hunters in my family and every one of them put in unit 9 as a first choice. I was the only archer, the rest are hunting with rifle this year. My wife and dad had the late rifle hunt there last year and with the help of Blake and Dan they both took small bulls. I made several scouting trips in there before any season opened and saw the first 400 bull of my life. I am absolutely hooked on bowhunting there one time.

I am going to get drawn I predict. :p If I do I can use all the help I can get. I've only been putting in for elk the last 11 years and have drawn only one tag, a late unit 23 rifle tag. I got lucky and took a 6 point bull. I didn't know any other game existed other than desert muleys for nearly 40 years. I am a complete novice at elk hunting.

Slim, I'm setting up a trail cam on the drinker where I killed that big buck southwest of Leon Tank when I wrap up corn planting. They got some good rain there, Leon is full both sides of the road. What's odd is 2 Gun Tank is powder dry and just a mile and a half or so farther down the road. I may put another one up on Woodpecker. I still haven't made it up there to see what kind of damage G&F did when they improved it.

·
Administrator
6,607 Posts
Would you guys skin me alive if I drew a Unit 9 elk tag? I put in there as my 2nd choice with only 3 BP's.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have had my sone and friend draw 9 with 2 points (different years) so it is possible.
Also, we had 3 clients from North Dakota draw 9 last year and it was the 1st year they ever applied for AZ.
Dan and Creed, we may have to make a trade for a great muley.....hehehe

1 - 20 of 27 Posts