Backpack hunters?

Discussion in 'Hunting Lounge' started by malpaisano, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Are there many backpack hunters here? I have been backpacking and hunting since I was a teenager (which was long, long ago), but have yet to combine the two activities. I am fixin' to change that (before I'm too old), as I am in the process of assembling a backpack hunting setup. My current backpacking backpack, a Gregory Baltoro 75, is great for normal backpacking, and though I am sure it would work I wouldn't want to try to haul an elk out of the woods with it.

So I am just curious how many avid backpack hunters prowl this site...

predatorhuntress likes this.
  2. I use a backpack, but a day pack, Im to old and love my comforts at my camp, SSOOOOO, I guess Im not into getting miles away from it all, because if you do, you have to carry it and an elk out when you get one down, no fun.

3. Well, I am definitely not starting with elk. I am planning to do a backpack hunt for my spring bear hunt in unit 33. And hopefully a deer hunt this fall. Or if I am really lucky, antelope or sheep!

4. I'll follow this post because I am always looking for new ways to make tag soup more miserable.

5. Haha...but an unfilled tag doesn't weigh much!

Azblaster and RHOLCOMB like this.
  6. I do. The biggest problem with backpack hunting in AZ is the small wilderness areas and the vast amount of roads crisscrossing public land. But I do pack in to my spike camp for elk when I get drawn. Another Big problem with backpack hunting in AZ lack of water, so i typically preset a cache prior to the hunt for me and my crew. I figure 1 gallon per person per day at 3 guys for a minimum of 6 days equates to 18 gallons of water to haul prior to the start of season.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  7. Yeah, I imagine places like Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho have many more choices. But there are several areas in AZ that would likely have some decent water sources, like the Mazatzals, Superstitions, Chiricahuas, Galiuros, the Blue Range, and maybe a few others. I would love to hunt the Rincons, but so much of it is national park.

Of course I am not talking about elk. For that I would probably head to unit 27...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  8. I am getting more and more into it. Most of the days I spend afield I am prepared for an overnight stay with just what I have on my back, but I usually make an attempt to get back to the truck to camp for the night. Although I love being in the woods, I am getting pretty good at doing it to a certain degree of comfort, but I can't carry that "comfort" far from the truck.

With that being said, my goal is typically to sleep at the truck, but I see the appeal of backpack hunting. If you manage to get on some game you have the ability to stick with them for a few days in an attempt to close the deal, which could be paramount in adding to your success as opposed to having to get back to a vehicle accessible point every day.

Depending on what, if any, tag I draw this year I imagine I will be spending some time backpack hunting. In a way I see a lot of connection between backpack hunting and the hunting methods of the Native Americans from centuries past. The only difference is the Natives were able to travel much lighter than any of us modern hunters seem to be able to do. Knowledge is by far the lightest supply that you can carry and they had way more of it than any of us do.

9. With all the lightweight gear on the market, it is getting easier to carry the comforts on your back. But much of that light gear is also crazy expensive. Seeing how I am not getting any younger, and that I do not plan to take my money to the grave with me, I have started venturing into that realm.

One of my main goals is to find areas with less hunters, and therefore less hunting pressure on the animals. A person could do that from a truck camp, but it would likely involve more time spent hiking in and out every day. I am interested in finding out if getting into the backcountry, and staying there for a few to several days, will pay off the way I expect. What I do know is that getting an animal down several miles from the truck will be a whole new ball game...

10. These types of activities really sound like fun...if you are prepared for it that is. Something on my bucket list...I think a horse trip in and hunt would be a great alternative to carrying everything...or even an ATV into a higher "base" camp to start from.