Bear Meat

Discussion in 'The Chuck Wagon' started by Desert Rat, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Super Mod Mod

If I should get a bear on Friday, any suggestions on what to do with the meat? Chorizo? Meat sticks? Regular butchering (chops, roasts, etc)?

2. If you plan on it being edible you better have your cooler of frozen water bottles along and cool the meat as soon as you can. Get it back to camp, get the hide off and stick the qtrs in the cooler. I haven't had any bear meat in many, many years so am of no help beyond initial care. But it is like pork in that you have to cook it really well or you can get triconiasis (or some big word like that).

3. rk

rk I am NOT an Admin!

I had mine made into bratwurst - tastes great.

4. 3 to 4 pound rump roast - WELL TRIMMED
    12 Whole Cloves
    1 1/2 Cups sliced carrots
    1 1/2 Cups sliced celery
    1 Cup chopped onions
    1 Cup dry red wine - always use a good wine, if'n it ain't good enough to drink it ain't good enough to cook with. Pour yourself a glass full also.
    3/4 Cup water
    1/4 Cup butter
    2 Tablespoons cayenne
    1 Teaspoon ground allspice
    Ground Black Pepper to taste
    Ground Sea Salt to taste
    2 Slices bacon, cut lengthwise

Heat oven to 400 F.
    Place roast in 3 quart roasting pan with cover, cut 12 1/2 inch deep slits in top of roast and place one clove in each.
    Combine all other ingredients, except bacon, in a mixing bowl and mix well. Pour over roast and then place bacon strips on roast.
    Insert meat thermometer into thickest part of roast and place lid on tightly.
    Bake for 20 minutes and reduce heat to 325 then bake for another 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender and internal temp registers 165.
    Remove cover and bake for another 15 minutes, let stand for 10 minutes.

Good luck on the bear hunt.