Arizona Hunting Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never shot with a bipod before, but now that I've got this Thompson Center Compass in 6.5 Creedmore, I figure it would be a good investment. Never even have had a sling on my old Savage 99 in 308. I'm a hunter, never have done any competitive shooting, so lightweight is important as is quality. I'm planning to get a Harris ultra lightweight pivoting one, and I'm looking at the 9"-12" version. When I measure my rifle barrel top when laying prone on the living room floor, it's about 10-11". I'm thinking the 6"-9" would be too short, and while the 12"-25" would be good for kneeling or sitting, if I have time to use a bipod I typically will have time to figure out a spot to get prone. I'd appreciate the input of you folks who have more experience than I, so thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
14,708 Posts
Living room floors are flat, forest ground is never flat for most part. Ive got several rifles with bipods on them, never have time to deploy and set to correct height. Instead, I use my backpack, quick shots, throw on ground, get prone and push or pull backpack to get right height. Sideways for 10-12 in, on end for taller shots or to see through brush or grass. Most of my shots I try to be prone if possible for best stability and shot placement, not fiddling with bipod. OH, BTW, I have a sling on my 99 for long humps, and it keeps your hands free to grab at stuff if getting set up for shot or getting on the ground as needed, plus it will give you a bit of stability when holding it for those stand up shots that always happen.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
i use the trigger sticks bipod also, largest size lets me sit on my 'coyote bucket' and also take standing shots very easy. i went through every bipod/tripod/monopod configuration there is, spent a LOT of money, to finally decide on the Primos.

·
Registered
852 Posts
+1 on the tall Primos, the deploy easily and adjust to any height, kneeling sitting and even standing (I’m 6 ft tall). They make great walking sticks and bino rest. Had mine for years. I don’t shoot prone, never been good at it so bipods never an option.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I am glad I asked the question and got all of your input. Like you Bear, I've always used a backpack or jacket in the past, or leaned against a tree, whatever. I typically don't shoot at moving critters, and I've never felt the need for a bipod. But you know how it is....you start watching a video here or there, and see some guys using a bipod to reach out and touch someone a long ways, and you think maybe you need some more gear. I am going to have to check out the Primos shooting sticks further: the ability to use them as walking sticks and more importantly, as camera or binocular rest / mount is very appealing. Thanks for the advice everyone!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I like my Marsupial setup, plus they’re made in Glendale

Reactions: dflyfish
1 - 13 of 13 Posts