Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Wanted to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and post an update on my first dove hunt. I just recently got into hunting (this being my third weekend with a shotgun, license and hot desire for game) and went out this morning south of the Gila Indian Reservation. Ended up dropping 11 Mourning Doves and 3 Collared Eurasians. What a blast!

The doves present a great challenge with an amazing reward. Previous hunts have been for Quail and Rabbit and have ended well, but nearly limiting out on my first dove hunt was beyond my expectations!

Any other good hunts going today?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Really wanting to get out there again but I've never done that good. Congrats! From my experience the dove jalapeño poppers are the way to go. Insanely tasty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really wanting to get out there again but I've never done that good. Congrats! From my experience the dove jalapeño poppers are the way to go. Insanely tasty.
That's what I have heard. I am going to try a variation on that theme since I do a bit if cooking and do a jalapeño popper pie, layers of dove coated in flour (to make a gravy with the bacon grease), onion, jalapeño and bacon covered with a pie crust

·
Super Moderator
2,805 Posts
Not a Black Friday hunt but took my future son in law out Wednesday for some predator hunting. We went to a place I have had success in before, made 8 or 9 stands and managed to see 1 cotton tail and 1 jack all day. My guess is the area must have been called alot recently. Part of the game I guess, but its true what they say about even a bad day hunting being better than a good day working.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a Black Friday hunt but took my future son in law out Wednesday for some predator hunting. We went to a place I have had success in before, made 8 or 9 stands and managed to see 1 cotton tail and 1 jack all day. My guess is the area must have been called alot recently. Part of the game I guess, but its true what they say about even a bad day hunting being better than a good day working.
I'll agree to that any day of the week! Now if only I could figure out a way to get paid to hunt!

·
Super Moderator
13,711 Posts
Payson area is way undercalled, I can go into any direction and not see anyone out and about, except for this weekend, Elk hunt going on. Seen some nice bulls coming through town and some raghorns. Id shoot a raghorn today if your smart, got a winter snow storm coming, going to make the rim country white and roads muddy.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
went out for jacks Friday, took some shots with the 15-22, but did not connect, then 2 different coyotes stepped out into the grove 'lanes' 50 yards in front of me! figures, go rabbit hunting, see coyotes, go coyote, end up with rabbits. gonna break out the quad and go full dog tomorrow to my first of the year spot. gonna be cold!!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Congratulations, Alyxander!! Great way to start your hunting experience!!

Reactions: terrierjeep

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

Wanted to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and post an update on my first dove hunt. I just recently got into hunting (this being my third weekend with a shotgun, license and hot desire for game) and went out this morning south of the Gila Indian Reservation. Ended up dropping 11 Mourning Doves and 3 Collared Eurasians. What a blast!

The doves present a great challenge with an amazing reward. Previous hunts have been for Quail and Rabbit and have ended well, but nearly limiting out on my first dove hunt was beyond my expectations!

My first time hunting Dove as well. This view beats any BlackFriday sale!

Attachments

·
Registered
781 Posts
Welcome to AHT, Damian!! Its a great group. Beautiful pic

Reactions: Damian
1 - 14 of 14 Posts