Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Administrator
6,498 Posts
I got an email about that and got interested until I read the requirements. The rifle being used must be at least .30 cal. 7mm Rem Mag is the most rifle I have, and it meets every other requirement including 2500 ft/lb of energy at the muzzle shooting a 168 gr bullet. The load I shoot is actually over 3000 ft/lb at the muzzle and maintains over 2500 out to 170 yards. So WTH, they should allow that.

I know, I could go buy a .300 Win Mag or something, or borrow my son-in-law's, or whatever. But I'm not going to just on principle...lol.

·
Super Moderator
2,846 Posts
I heard that if you are one of the “lucky ones”, you shoot said buffalo but they dont let you keep the meat? Is this true and if so why bother?
If the National Park Service wants the numbers reduced why doesnt AZGFD relocate whatever number of animals that is to the buffalo ranch in unit 5?
Seems like a more sound method of conservation than to just kill them for the sake of reducing numbers, also seems like the species has been down a similar path in the past 🤔🤷‍♂️

Reactions: azelkhntr

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Somewhere it says Maybe get to keep some meat, No Maybe, do all the work for a hind quarter, No Thanks. This sound like a Rip off to me, I read something like this last year also, No Happen at all, somebody was bitching up a storm about it. Just give out more permits, reduce the area you can hunt, problem solved.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The reqs are too much government lol. Waivers. Nps volunteer. Leadfree 30 cal plus 165gr 3 shots in 4 inches at 10k altitude yah yah Yahya stuff stuff rabble rabble.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I heard that if you are one of the “lucky ones”, you shoot said buffalo but they dont let you keep the meat? Is this true and if so why bother?
If the National Park Service wants the numbers reduced why doesnt AZGFD relocate whatever number of animals that is to the buffalo ranch in unit 5?
Seems like a more sound method of conservation than to just kill them for the sake of reducing numbers, also seems like the species has been down a similar path in the past 🤔🤷‍♂️
They gave the buffalo's to the indians

·
Super Moderator
3,680 Posts
I will wait and see what it says when it comes out for application.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm going to apply. Heck if someone here draws one and wants help I'm more than happy, if I'm allowed as a non-shooting volunteer.... I wouldn't know what to do with a whole bison anyways.

The caliber restriction and especially the non-lead ammo kind of chaps my biscuits, but I get why they have the caliber restriction at least. Don't want some dude with a .223 showing up saying that the old timer's plugged em with less.

·
Registered
543 Posts
AZ G&F has worked to get the NPS to consider this program for years vice using professional marksmen. The skilled volunteer can take 5 assistants to help. Skilled volunteer vs hunter as hunting is not permitted on the park. You keep the meat.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Based on the requirements, this opportunity is not for every hunter. I hope there is enough interest to salivate the national parks manage goals.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Salivate 😆. This hunt should fall under G&F’s population mngmt hunts which we pay extra for to be on the list. NPS should have no business in wildlife mngmt.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
This whole thing is BS. Jump threw hoops to get to waste your money, time and ammo to go waste some dumb animal and get to keep nothing but a memory.
Who TF do they think we are. I can to the 100yards with a 10mm but why waste my time on something I can't keep?
Anything on 3TV but the weather is BS and that is BS most of the time. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
This whole thing is BS. Jump threw hoops to get to waste your money, time and ammo to go waste some dumb animal and get to keep nothing but a memory.
Who TF do they think we are. I can to the 100yards with a 10mm but why waste my time on something I can't keep?
Anything on 3TV but the weather is BS and that is BS most of the time.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regs say G&F would take possession and the distribute any unwanted portion of the bison to tribal lands, meaning the volunteer party gets to keep what they want

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
NPS has no intention of letting hunters hunt within the Grand Canyon boundaries. Thats the problem with this hunt during reg season, The buff runs over the line or through the cheap wire fence into the park, lays down on top of next ridge and sticks out its tongue at the hunters standing on the line wishing. You ever seen a Buff Tongue, Its LONGGGG and fat.. NPS Does NOT play by the rules, dont trust them is my Motto.

I like all your guys enthusiasm, But Vector is right on with his. Other then Buffs are any thing but DUMB, Dont underestimate them, they are smart. Ive been on a hunt one year up there, day before season buffs were standing around the salt licks tame as heck, That night NPS threw out hay bales within GC park boundaries, POOOF , no more buffs on hunt able ground, Big waste.of time. Only buff shot that week was a calf, wondering around next to road because MAMA got plowed over by Shamrock truck hauling milk and cottage cheese to park employees, And DPS Pushed 10 dead buffs off into the woods with a backhoe to get out of sight from the tourists. True Story, I got the proff and witnesses, and G&F later said NOOO to salvage of meat because it was not legally taken. That was a Big Joke, no salvage. Flag G&F office took alot of heat over that, It was in there district.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Salivate 😆. This hunt should fall under G&F’s population mngmt hunts which we pay extra for to be on the list. NPS should have no business in wildlife mngmt.
If the “hunt” didn’t take place in a protected national park, then I would completely agree.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
" ...t take place in a protected national park ..." THAT IS WHY IT IS SO SCREWED UP! The Feds can really mess things up and certainly have. Also, wolves and the Mexican Bobwhite Quail -- equally screwed up.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Add the brown trout bounty to that list too :eek:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
If the “hunt” didn’t take place in a protected national park, then I would completely agree.
Well; either the State owns and manages all the wildlife within its soveign boundaries or it doesn’t. NP are not States and thus should be subservient to the State in these matters.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts