Arizona Hunting Forums banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Well; either the State owns and manages all the wildlife within its soveign boundaries or it doesn’t. NP are not States and thus should be subservient to the State in these matters.
I appreciate your perspective. I feel that way about the trout in the river. I wish the feds would just let the state manage lees ferry solely.

·
Registered
805 Posts
The NPS could but won't even try to maintain their boundary fences. You should see the messes they have made with letting fires burn. They have done several so called controlled burns in the park. The NPS response is always that the fires got away from them. That usually happens when they only have two (2) guys working the lines and the wind gusts to 35 mph. By the way the NWS in Flagstaff has recommended not to burn but NPS doesn't give a damn. Why would they give a sh*t about buffalo. JM

·
Registered
530 Posts
If i cant keep it I wont. I would only go for the groceries. Where does it say you cant keep it? I missed that
It doesn't as far as I read. It says that the DFG will take over possession of any unwanted parts, as others stated. That is, if I can read today...

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
This thread makes my Sharps in the safe excited.

Lol
If i cant keep it I wont. I would only go for the groceries. Where does it say you cant keep it? I missed that
How much meat will I be able to keep? Will I be able to keep the head or hide?
Grand Canyon National Park will transfer bison carcasses to Arizona Game and Fish Department at the end of each volunteer/ operation period. Arizona Game and Fish Department may distribute what they choose to skilled volunteers on the last day of their service. Skilled volunteers may share with Support Volunteers. Carcass distribution will not exceed one bison per volunteer team. Any parts not desired by volunteers will be transferred to the Tribal governments of GCNP’s 11 traditionally associated tribes.

I would find it hard to believe G&F wouldn't let a licensed AZ hunter keep all the meat they wanted from their kill. I would make a big stink about it if they didn't.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
So if you drop one on day 1 of your "operation" it sits in a freezer till the last day and then someone from game and fish gets to choose what and how much to distribute? Bull hockey let them go put their own critter down.

Now if tribal members are starving let me know. Ill kill everything from a hummingbird on up to help feed someone but to ask someone to come hunt... sorry "operate" on their own dime and then someone they designates gets to choose what I keep... oh heck no. Yeah let me tell mamma I gonna spend several hundred on up dollars to go hunt and then bring her back a hoof. Yeah no

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Lol, man I thought I was brutal :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: How many expert marksman are gonna apply?

·
Super Moderator
3,680 Posts
I think we may be a little premature in guessing on what the rule of engagement might be. My thought is wait and let's see what they come up with when they post them.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
We will all need to develop custom, not lead round to take a @RickyG hoof. and spend our own dime doing it. Its more expensive fore non-lead and they do not fly the same.
More importantly the availability of these components are damn near impossible to get at the moment.
No thanks!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm going to apply. Heck if someone here draws one and wants help I'm more than happy, if I'm allowed as a non-shooting volunteer.... I wouldn't know what to do with a whole bison anyways.

The caliber restriction and especially the non-lead ammo kind of chaps my biscuits, but I get why they have the caliber restriction at least. Don't want some dude with a .223 showing up saying that the old timer's plugged em with less.
Well geez Savageman; can’t hit a rabbit with three shots, maybe you’d have better luck with a Buffalo- lol. Don’t know that I’d apply; but I’d seriously consider being a non-shooting volunteer and be able to experience the hunt and to help out.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well geez Savageman; can’t hit a rabbit with three shots, maybe you’d have better luck with a Buffalo- lol. Don’t know that I’d apply; but I’d seriously consider being a non-shooting volunteer and be able to experience the hunt and to help out.
Right? As long as I'm 15 yards away and the bison isn't looking at me, and I bring my extended magazine, maybe I'll be able to hit it 😂 . I need a new scope too, AT LEAST 24 power... lol.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Not sure i understand the non lead requirement yet. The only bullet i would plan to shoot would be the one in the bison. I get the lead issue around waterfowl but not so much on large game. Highly unlikely a duck is going to swallow a 180gr projectile out of my critters body

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same here. My guns don’t meet the qualifications, but it would be fun to tag along and help out.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts