Arizona Hunting Forums banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,680 Posts
I wonder how they plan to control all of the "antis' that will show up for this?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Oh snap! What have I done? I just entered as well. Looks to be only 25 people selected and only 12 that can shoot from that group. There are 4 weeks this takes place. The 25 will be divided into the 4 week periods, each person is required to hunt just and only 1 week of the 4. The killing of 400 Buffalo is the goal. So my math tells me in a one week period that you are selected, there will be 100 Buffalo killed by 3 shooters. The rest of the group that is not selected as a shooter still is REQUIRED to work the entire week sunup to sundown packing out the entire 100 buffalo on their back at 8000-9000 feet elevation,as motorized vehicles are not allowed. You will not know if you are selected as a shooter beforehand, no backing out either way. Each of the 25 will be given 1 Buffalo for their efforts. So to recap, 6 people a week of which only 3 may shoot. Be in EXCELLENT physical condition as a requirement, thinking a prerequisite physical to be performed. Each shooter has 1 person to help them pack out 33 buffalo each week. This sounds like a sh\t ton of work! I love Buffalo meat, but boy howdy, I am not going to be upset if they don’t call. BTW, my info came from Gohunt.com article that laid it all out. .....and my duuummmb ass just applied lol!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I played an awful lot of oregon trail as a kid, I probably racked up the kind of carcass count they're looking for. Also - the 'unwanted parts' going to the tribes I think includes hides, bones, etc. One of the G&F magazines had an article that talked about using those items donated by successful hunters for authentic ceremonial garb and the like.

·
Super Moderator
3,680 Posts
The pack-out is what stopped me. That is a lot of meat, hide, etc to get out of a "no vehicle" location. To top that off my main elk hunting partner, my son-in-law is going to have to have stent and clean-out work which the doctor's believe may be related to his Covid issues. They have never gone away, in-fact gotten worse after it cleared up. So, as much as I would like to put in, nope.

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Painter, Your in for a ton of work if selected, do it on first of August, come help on my elk hunt.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
The pack out does sound daunting to do once, much more several times a day, everyday for 5 days. All I can figure that with the amount they want to take, they have to have additional help available, probably from the tribes. Also I am thinking (hopefully) the herd they are after are not far from some type of road that will be open. Sounds like it will be a mass shooting of a gathered herd all at once ( firing squad) then mass effort to get them out. Does not sound fun or exciting or any type of hunt I would look forward to. However I would do it to fill the freezer with awesome meat that I probably would never be able to draw in my lifetime through a actual hunt. I am thinking I will not like what I see, shooting fish in a barrel, but if I didn’t do it , given the chance, someone else will and will be having buffalo burgers every weekend for the next couple years. Oh well no need to fret over it until if and when the call comes.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Painter, Your in for a ton of work if selected, do it on first of August, come help on my elk hunt.
Not sure they give you a choice. I know the October 18 hunt will interfere with Wyoming deer. The end of September will interfere with salmon fishing. The end of October will interfere with my bday party lol. They will all interfere with Idaho moose hunt if my dad or I draw. The August one works best for me, but not my fear of snakes lol!! Hell yes if I am there, I will help with your hunt!

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I applied, more than likely not going to get drawn as this may have more applications than Elk.
  • Perhaps my only opportunity to get a Bison in my lifetime
  • $65 is a very low cost for that much meat
  • Gives me a really good reason to get in shape
  • I love the Kaibab
  • I believe the culling is good for the ecosystem (these are non-native)
  • My wife said it was ok
  • I have done volunteer work at the Canyon before and the NPS was nothing but a gracious host.

·
Super Moderator
3,680 Posts
$65 but much like all the other "hunting" we do the hidden, or perhaps not so hidden costs add up fast and I started calculating that and gave up.

Reactions: azelkhntr

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I don’t actually believe this cull will go forward under the bidenho regime. As noted prior the braindead antis are going to be having fits over it.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
$65 but much like all the other "hunting" we do the hidden, or perhaps not so hidden costs add up fast and I started calculating that and gave up.
Oh for sure there are a LOT of hidden costs similar to making my own beer it is much less expensive to just buy it at the store, I was simply referring to the cost of the clearance vs. that of a Bison draw tag. Getting there along with a weeks worth of supplies...

I am curious about how they plan to keep the meat from spoiling if you need to be on site for a week.

·
Super Moderator
3,680 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Anyone hear any replies, I didnt read so really have no Idea whats going on other then a Buff Hunt of some kind not for free !!!

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
After I hit the submit button the site said that I would receive an email from NPS by May 17th if selected.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The hunt is free except for the $65 background check fee.
This ain’t a hunt and feds clearly state that. The volunteers are free labor. The biggest kick I get out of the whole deal is the self certification of the health requirements. That’s a lot hauling on your back :oops: lmfao 45K applicants is also an impressive figure! Good luck!

61 - 80 of 89 Posts