Buyer Beware -Radio Shack Rebate Offers

Discussion in 'Community Campfire' started by AZ~ThunderDan, Mar 30, 2007.

1. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

Just when I get over the Wal-Mart - Coast flashlight debacle, I have to encounter another corporate blunder. Let me explain.

Two weeks before this past Christmas, I was at the Flagstaff Mall doing some gift shopping for my wife. I happened by the Radio Shack and noticed a window sign on the Sirius Satellite Radios. Perfect idea, as my wife had mentioned that she would like one. I go inside and buy the Sirius Stratus radio and a Home Kit. At check-out, the sales clerk informs me that there's a mail-in rebate of $20 for the Home Kit and a $50 rebate on the Stratus.

Well, when I get home, I follow all of the exhaustive instructions for the rebates on the sales slip, and mail in all the required documents. (Copy of sales slips, photocopy of the UPC bar code, etc.) About two weeks later, I receive two confirmation emails from Radio Shack acknowledging receipt of both rebate offers. Cool, I thought, the rebate checks will be in the mail any day.

About two weeks later, I get an envelope from Radio Shack. Yes, I thought, one of my rebate checks arrived! NOT! It was what they call a "resubmit" letter. Here's what it said; "We appreciate your purchase, but unfortunately, your submission for the Radio Shack rebate offer was declined for the following reason(s): Submission did not include a UPC for a Sirius Stratus. Please return this entire letter with all the missing information requested to the following address. Please allow 4 weeks from the date you mail this resubmission for final processing."

What?? I mailed everything they asked and had made copies of everything. Well, I looked closely at each sales/rebate slips, and noticed in fine print on the Stratus rebate, to mail the ORIGINAL UPC bar code, while the Home Kit rebate said to mail the original UPC or a Photocopy of the UPC bar code. Crap, I somehow overlooked the subtle differences in rebates, and, I had only mailed in a photocopy of the UPC bar code. My bad. I thought to myself, no big deal, I made a mistake. So, I cut the UPC bar code from the Stratus package and send it - and the resubmission letter back as requested. I even went to the Post Office and paid $7.50 to have it delivered Certified Mail - Return Receipt. By golly, I wasn't about to let these corporate mongers screw me again later, and then claim they didn't receive it.

About a week later, I get another envelope from Radio Shack. Cool, a rebate check arrived. NOT! :roll: It was ANOTHER resubmission letter. Jeez'o'pete's, I thought, what now? The letter said I did not include the original UPC bar code for both the Sirius Stratus and the Home Kit. WHAT the ??? Well, now I'm mad. I asked the guy how in the heck can I mail in the original UPC bar code for the Stratus to receive one rebate, and then mail the same original UPC bar code for the Stratus to receive the other rebate for the Home Kit? Dip-sticks!! Any idiot knows I only had one original UPC bar code for the Stratus. Then I realized the sales/rebate slip said I could submit a PHOTOCOPY of the Stratus UPC bar code. So, I called the Radio Shacks Rebate Desk (1-800 number) and asked them to explain the problem. The gal was very apologetic, and said... "Mr. Clark, I see your documents right here, you did in fact, include a photocopy of the Stratus UPC bar code along with the original UPC bar code from the Home Kit. Our apologies. We will expedite your rebate and get that right out to you. We apologize for the grief. It is NOT NECESSARY that you mail us back the resubmission letter. Your checks should arrive in 1-2 weeks."

Well, about 5 weeks have passed since then, so I called the 1-800 number again today. I get some dip-stick customer service rep that sounds like a Pakistani suffering from an Anthrax over-dose. He asks for my name and address, and then proceeds to tell me I'm... "not in their system." WHAT!

Well, in my most polite manner, I explained everything that has transpired and that I was belly-full of their shenanigans. I told him they made it virtually impossible to comply with the rebate instructions and that I not only had e-mail verifications from them for both rebate offers, but that I also had the Return-Receipt confirmation from the postal service proving some one working for Radio Shack had signed the receipt for my resubmission letter. I told him if they didn't get it figured out in the next 3-seconds, I was calling their Corporate Offices and the Arizona State Attorney Generals Office to file a complaint. Well, suddenly, the Pakistani-sounding dude says... "Mr. Clark, hold on. I just found you in the system. I will send this to "Expedited Services" immediately. (Yeah, right, like there is such a department.) You will receive both rebates within 8-10 business days. I am very sorry for your headache. Thank you for shopping at Radio Shack."

Well, I ain't holding my breath, but I fully expect to see two rebate checks within the next couple of weeks. What is it with these big corporations these days? And to think, I used to believe that consumer advocate Ralph Nader was a quack. I can tell you this, if and when I get my rebates, I will think twice about buying anything from Radio Shack ever again. Rebate... or not.

OK, I feel much better now! :D

2. Chief

Chief Guest

First Wal-Mart now Radio Shack you must have a black cloud following you around :p

3. oh no

oh no Dan you never have much luck do u lol it sucks i dont like rebates the only ones i do like are the ones at the time of prchase yep lol otherwise i dont send them in no way in HELL!!!!! :twisted: un uh!!! never works for me!!! lol

4. AZ~ThunderDan

I thought the same thing. But then I got to thinking.

Since Radio Shack has a toll-free number, I can wear them down to the point of submission with my complaints. Every customer service rep they employ will know me by my first name after I am all said and done.

I'll get my $70 in rebates, trust me. There's good reason why some folks refer to me as... ThunderDan. [​IMG]

5. AZ~ThunderDan

In case anyone gives a schiznit, I finally received my first Radio Shack rebate check in the mail yesterday.

It was, of course, the $20 rebate for the Home Kit. Factor in the Certified Mail - Return Receipt costs of $7.50, I'm now $12.50 to the better.

I'm still holding out for the $50 rebate on the Stratus, which better show up soon, else I'll be calling that 1-800 number again. I've been brushing up on my Pakistani, and I'm armed to the teeth with cuss-words. [​IMG]

Unfortunately for us, we owe the IRS $1300.00 again this year. There goes my new Hoyt Vectrix and a bow press. :cry:

I wonder what the IRS would do if I sent them a "resubmit" letter? Clink!

6. AZ~ThunderDan

I must be talking to myself?

Anyway, my other rebate showed up today.

The end.

7. Chief

Chief Guest

Them rebate programs will cause that :p

I once had a Sergeant that talked to himself all the time. Once while he was "talking" I said to him in a rather loud voice: "Sarge! do you realize your talking to yourself?" His reply: "Yes Sir, it's the only time I can have an intelligent conversation around here." I never interupted any of his "conversations" again.

8. I got the same thing with pretty much every "rebate" I have ever put in for. Ya gotta read em really carefully. Still got hosed on the majority of em though. They count on people giving up so they can keep the money. Imagine how much money it is at $70 a pop times ......what............200,000 people or more?