Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very keen on buying up a part of the state, mainly to shoot and camp on occasionally. Somewhere to maybe build on one day although that’s unlikely - at least for the next 18 or so years.

Found a beautiful 120 acres of rolling, lightly scrubbed hills down near Benson. Closest structure would be 3/4 of a mile away. Easily enough room to safely shoot in the valleys. Only thing that puts me off is being so close to the border! Not out of xenophobia, I’m more bothered about being constantly harassed by border patrol. The closest structure is one of their surveillance towers.

Plenty of land out In the west of the state. Grated, it’s all flat and bone dry and the scenery is generally boring but it’s damn cheap.

Anyone had any experience with buying land to shoot on?

·
Super Moderator
3,680 Posts
You beat me to it. Harassed by CBP? Unless you are an illegal, harboring illegals or transporting illegals and/or smuggling dope why would they harass you? I am along the border in that area often I am glad to see them there.

Your only problem with land there will be water. Now and in the future.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should have maybe worded what I wrote better. Instead of “harass” let’s go with “draw the attention of CBP”.
I could be totally wrong (and happy to be) but wouldn’t opening up close by to the border quickly raise alarms?

·
Super Moderator
3,680 Posts
Why? If they are 3/4 of a mile away they can easily see what you are doing. You would be amazed at the sophistication of their surveillance equipment :)

You would not be the first hunter or target shooter down there. I think you have little to worry about.

Reactions: Rook16 and Dad O 6

·
Registered
931 Posts
I dont know much about that part of the state. Just make sure you have good water.

Let me know when I can come to hunt deer on your property :)

Green.

·
Administrator
6,616 Posts
I would definitely investigate what the ground water aquifers are like in that area and what the cost for drilling a well would run you. 120 acres sounds nice in that area and I'm sure with ground water made available to wildlife (inconspicuous guzzler/drinkers) you could have a nice little slice of Mecca down there.

·
Registered
315 Posts
In all my interactions with BP I have benefitted or they have. Sometimes they warn me of a mule train moving thru a certain area, other times I reporting illegals to them. But buying property and tossing a prefab cabin on it is on my list too...just not down there, wanna be above 5500' w/ groundwater.

Reactions: 2BZ2Ranch

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
And Cooler Temps and water !!!

·
Super Moderator
3,680 Posts
Depending upon where in SE AZ you can get above 5500 but the water is an issue even when we are not in a drought. The fools that want to build 26K houses, or more I can't recall, will pump the San Pedro and the rest of the aquifer dry. There are a lot of streams, seeps and springs throughout that back country some are even still running now, but that won't continue with developers and alfalfa growers. Somehow all of the promises of replenishing never happens when they build.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I live in a place that we get all of our rain in about 4 months of the year. There are people who catch rain water to use in their vacation homes. They set a large storage tank [ usually under ground] and make sure to catch every drop that hits their roof. They add as much roof as possible. House, carport, sheds, and patios. And they use that water to bathe, flush toilets, wash hands, etc... And when they are at the home they bring water for cooking and eating. If you are only using it for eating and drinking 10 gallons of water goes a long way.

If your home is a weekend getaway , and you are careful with the water, how much would you need for the year? You are not watering outdoor plants, you are not washing clothing, bedding, or your cars..... So think of how much do you really need?
My memory of the Bisby area is they get all of their rain in big dumps! So you would have to design your roofs and catchment to not loose any, But that is doable! Good Luck.

·
Super Moderator
3,680 Posts
We probably all need to begin looking at water catchments for our homes and property.

Reactions: dangerranger
1 - 15 of 15 Posts