Arizona Hunting Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started trapping not to long ago, and still haven't been able to find any productive private land to trap. So that meant cage trapping on public land. it was a little tough for me to pick up the trick of the trade as i new no one else with any experience. At first all i was catching was skunks, man let me tell you that was fun :p. then i started catching *****, i new they were a mean animals but had no idea they were as tough as they are. i started catching a few fox and i was getting excited. but there is nothing like walking up to that cage and looking in to see what you have been making trips out to the desert everyday after work for. So do any of you do any trapping? those of you that don't should look into it, it is a lot of fun and you can even make a few dollars. here is the first bobcat i cought. man was i excited ;)

G

·
My hat is off to you again Clint.

Okay Clint, So you trapped a few Skunks right? How do you get them out of the cage without the smell. Do they spray? Do you do a head shot from afar?

I ask, because this pass Jan. I shot my first Skunk. We tried to get close and I almost throw up because of the smell. My friend had a great laugh while I was gaging.

What bait did you use ? If that is not giving away any tricks of the trade you don't want to revealed.

Great picture Clint.

·
Administrator
6,602 Posts
Clint, aside from having a valid hunting license and some cage traps, what's it take to trap on public land? I've never trapped so I've never investigated the requirements.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I trapped through much of high school and college. At some point I had about 200-300 traps. Trapped raccoons, weasels (ermine), marten, beaver, red fox, muskrats, etc. Snared coyotes. For whatever reason, I never did catch a mink - though I tried and they were pretty plentiful in the area. I never caught an otter either, but never really made any sets for them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
they have made it a little tougher to trap since i was in high school. i guess you have to go to a class in order to get a trapping license. no leg holds on public land so on so on. but its something you ought to look into dan your in the perfect spot. call me i'll fill you in jim

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the best way to kill a skunk is to inject them. but i just shot them and had my partner take care of them. ;). for trapping you need to take the trappers education course. you can take it at the ATA this month in globe or there is a guy in Prescott valley. it is a quick fun course to take. Dan you should get into it i bet you could tear up the cats and fox up there. if any of you decide to get into it let me know and i will try and help yyou to get started. you should also check out the ATA convention.
take care,
Clint

·
Administrator
6,602 Posts
Thanks for the input and offer Clint. Jim, I may take you both up on this. If you recall, we saw a couple of fox during the elk hunt, and - we both know the bobcat situation in Jack's. I would think this would be a trappers mecca near the forest boundary?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
The best way to catch skunks is in a skunk trap. And or double wrap a cage trap with plastic, including the ends. Then all you need is a water trough.

And in the "you learn something new everyday" catagory. I did not realise you can use live traps on public land. Had no idea. but glad that loop hole is there. Going to have to start building some, and getting back into it this fall. I hear that pelts are starting to gain some value again.

Shane

1 - 8 of 8 Posts