Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a great past week of deer hunting (two quality bucks) and a week of scouting prior to that, plus this hectic Thanskgiving week I plan on taking some time off for the more serious things in life. Leaving Monday morning for a week of calling. Packing up the travel trailer and heading out to points unknown. Have rifles, shotguns, fishing poles and all assorted accessories ready to go, just waiting for Monday morning to get here :beer:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Congrats on your deer hunt. Yep, Monday morning. I've been looking forward to this for a long time myself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chief, Good Luck and wish i was going, but I have that four letter word I still deal with. ( not WIFE, WORK). :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All ready. Trailer packed and firmly attached to the truck. Ribs are par-boiled and resting in a homemade Mesquite Sauce, Steak is asleep in some garlic and herbs marindae and the chops are resting comfortably in a cajun marinade, just poured the simmered all night tomatoe sauce into its new home and the Single Barrel Bourbon is safely tucked away for the trip. FoxPro all charged up, batteries replaced in the decoy and hand callers secured to lanyards. Now I can sit back and enjoy football today and tomorrow without to much worry about packing. C'mon Monday....

P.S. Shane and Paul we'll be thinking of ya :beer:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chief,

I was hoping to have a new .223 for the hunt. All day in Tucson and not one opened sight bolt action rifle anywhere in town. Did manage to find a car for the wife. So I'm set pretty good with her. Monday morning sure seems to be taking it's own sweet time getting here. I've been ready for this hunt for awhile now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What a trip - we had gale force winds and freezing temperatures. The only half way decent morning was Wed, we woke up to calm, cold, cloudy weather, perfect for calling. We got on our first stand about 7 or so and had a coyote come in to my right rear, being righthanded by the time I identified the target and got in a semi shooting position he was on his way out of the area, a quick shot proved futile and he will live to see another sunrise. Winds started up again shortly after that and we headed back to the trailer. Mike heard them howling several times, since I will not have my hearing aids until next week I didn't hear a thing, most of the times I didn't even hear Mike :lol: Last night was terribly cold and the wind was whipping the trailer all night, thought we were going to wake up in Mexico. Got up this morning with snow on the mountain, cold weather and MORE wind, hooked up the trailer and came home. Other than getting to meet Mike the high point of the trip was seeing two Bald Eagles working the lake, Mike even got up close and personal with one of them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chief,

Yeah those winds were terrible. But you know what? The time we finally got to spend together made the trip worth it for me. Your a good man. I'm proud to call you a friend. I really enjoyed the trip. Thanks for inviting me along. Our hunts together can only get better.(Producing more to shoot at anyway) Yep, sure was nice to watch a Bald Eagle come out of the trees in front of me and soar out over the lake. A sight like that has a way of touching the inner soul.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
970 Posts
Are you guys using mouth calls or electronic? I am thinking of getting an electronic but there are so many out there to choose from.......any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I'm envious, and am sorry I couldn't make it...although sleeping in a tent would have been a little fun.
I would have enjoyed meeting both of you.
I'm hoping it's just a delay though...come 12/9 we'll all have a chance to meet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bowhuntinmaniac said:
Are you guys using mouth calls or electronic? I am thinking of getting an electronic but there are so many out there to choose from.......any recommendations?
I use electronic calls, commercial handcalls and custom made handcalls. It just so happens that we were using the FoxPro FX3 when this coyote came in. Although a little pricey I really think the FoxPro is the best on todays market. The advantage, as I see it, is that you can set it out a long way in front of you and any in-coming critter will be focused on it and not you. Additionally you can program up to 32 calls in it I also use a decoy in conjunction with the caller. I have the FoxPro Jack-In-The-Box and also the Whirling Woodpecker. But truth be known a rabbit skins or turkey feathers work just as well. The remote control is good out to 700 yards, but for the life of me I can't imagine anyone using it out that far.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not that big on the electronic calls, but I will admit that the Foxpro that chief has is a pretty good caller. The clarity of the call is really good. With the remote. The adjustment of the volume is easy to control. And like Chief said. You can place the call out and away from you to draw the attention away from you is a plus. I do like to use decoys. We have chickens. Even though a live chicken would be a great decoy, and a call within itself. The wife for some reason would not understand. So to stay somewhat on her good side. I just stick to the feathers. Take three to four good size feathers tied together and hang in a bush about fifteen yards out in front of you. I've also found that a fresh killed rabbit works well. Cut it from the back of the head down to the shoulders. Deep enough to draw some blood flow. Predators react to the smell of blood. You can either hang the rabbit in a bush, or you could tie some small nylon string through the ears and tie the other end to one of you boots. By moving your foot a little side to side can make the rabbit flop around somewhat. I guess that one could use fishing line. I find that kite string breaks to easy. I like to use decoys in areas that are more open. There are those setups that don't always have the best cover to hide yourself. With decoys. Coyotes tend to pick up on movement, and focus in on that movement. Therefore giving the shooter an advantage. You always got to be ready, because that advantage is almost always a small one. If you do buy a electronic caller. Go ahead and buy some mouth calls. Old reliables are hard to beat. Mouth calls are not as hard to master as you may think. I've always loved predator hunting. I believe that if you want to be a good hunter. Then you have to learn from the best. From what I can tell. The best hunters have more then two feet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If'n anybody should buy the Whirling Woodpecker I would strongly recommend you also buy rechargeable batteries. This is one decoy that could drive ya to the poor house just buying batteries. Likewise with the FoxPro FX3, but you can buy it with rechargeables and a home charger. Also the alligator clip that comes with the woodpecker wasn't large enough to suit me so I swapped it out with a little larger one.

I once had a coyote come into the call while also using the woodpecker, about 6 feet high in a mesquite tree. I sat and watched him for a long while, he would lay down and look at it, sit up and look at it, walk in circles all around it. He finally leaped up and grabbed it, that really pissed me off, so I shot him.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the whirling woodpecker as well. I agree with you on the alligator clip it's a little too small. Thanks for the info on that. I will be looking to change that clip out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I once had a coyote come into the call while also using the woodpecker, about 6 feet high in a mesquite tree. I sat and watched him for a long while, he would lay down and look at it, sit up and look at it, walk in circles all around it. He finally leaped up and grabbed it, that really pissed me off, so I shot him.
LMAO... :lol2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts