Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a pop up camper with a buddy and he just finished his Elk Hunt in 5B so we are trying to find a weekend to do some TLC on the camper. It's an 06 Fleetwood E2 and the main issue is the roof has a leak. Its minor but getting worse. No AC so it has to be the main seam down the middle. Anyone have experience repairing this? I have seen quite a few people post that they have removed the factory sealing strip down the midline and replaced it with eternabond tape? Curious if anyone has done this. OG or Aftermarket parts are not available for this repair. Also the wood is rotting on the front deck and we are thinking either replace the wood deck except rhino line the plywood or weld metal grate in lieu of wood but I worried about more rust and just more weight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Eternabond is awesome. Do you have any photos of the seam? You could also get the trailer level and apply a bead of Dicor self leveling sealant after a proper cleaning. Campers of all types need to be re sealed often and this type of caulking is designed to be applied repeatedly.

·
Super Moderator
13,711 Posts
Yep, clean it well with soap/water, let dry, Get some Snow Seal Elastomeric roof coating, some of the seal tape that you paint in and coat with sealant, let dry, good as new. Depending on size or location of leak, a second coat after drying is not a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally started this project got all of the canvas off and the roof off in about 3 hours. My buddy is going to begin stripping out the wood and foam from the inside of the roof. The loose plan now is to get down to the aluminum skin and apply eternabond tape on the inside of the seam. Redo the foam and plywood with roll on adhesive but we are going to paint the plywood both sides with some kilz before installing. Once the top is re-assembled we will pull off the center seam clean the aluminum and apply eternabond tape to the outer seam. The leaks occurred with he previous owner. We keep the camper covered when stored so pooling water shouldn't be an issue for us. Thinking that should do the trick. Especially in AZ.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

demo time - this is a moment I will likely regret haha. But in this dumb market I could probably ruin this camper and still sell it for more than I bought it for.

·
Super Moderator
3,631 Posts
The one thing that I wrote and then deleted because I thought this thread was dead, was don't stretch the eternabond when you put it on. I will de-laminate in short order. Lay it down over the area and use a roller to stick it down good.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The one thing that I wrote and then deleted because I thought this thread was dead, was don't stretch the eternabond when you put it on. I will de-laminate in short order. Lay it down over the area and use a roller to stick it down good.
I have seen the "installation kit" sold with the tape it had some cleaner, pre-adhesive and a roller so I think I will pick that up and thanks for the tip!

·
Super Moderator
3,631 Posts
The Jayco site I am often on has a number of threads on roof sealing. Most that have used the tape have said to clean it good with dawn or something similar and then be sure it drys thoroughly. I have a 4x50 roll that I am going to use on the roof and think I will just wash it but then I’m cheap.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Can you use something like a Henry's Elastomeric roof coating on the top to give some more protection? Redoing a HiLo camper now and enternabond has been a lifesaver on the aluminum roof.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: Got the ply wood and foam out of the interior of the roof and my buddy only managed to put three holes in the aluminum in the process :rolleyes:. We also discovered several other small holes which we will be patching from the inside with eternabond. Once we are all taped up from the inside we are going to reinstall new foam and plywood and rivet it all back together.

Exterior: the plan is to eternabond the center seam and any other holes then we were going to roll on truck be liner over the whole thing. Any thoughts on the bed liner over the aluminum skin?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Used a wire wheel on a 4 1/2 inch grinder to clean the aluminum. The eternabond tape is down on the inside and all of the foam has been reinstalled. I also found some 3/4" aluminum angle that I laid down between sheets of foam to add more structure to the roof.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts