Camping and Hunting,

Discussion in 'Hunting Lounge' started by AZflyguy, Jun 6, 2011.

1. This year I hope to get out on my first ever deer hunt in either unit 33 or 34A. My buddy and I are both pretty new at hunting and I had a few questions about how y'all mix in camoing with hunting.

1- With all the associated smells (campfire/food) that go allong with camping, how do you guys remove such strong scents from you and your gear each day? Without running water and a shower, do you guys just pour a bucket over your head each morning? Or, do you use camp stoves instead of fires? I always come back from camping stinking of smoke so I wondered about this.

2- If one of us fills our tag early in the week but the other doesn't, is there a good way to keep the meat from going bad for a few more days of hunting? Or, is it best to get that meat out of camp ASAP and to the processor? Small game I figure would be easily manageable but for deer I am not sure of the best way to go about this.

3- Do you guys leave your camp sites up while you are out hunting for the day? I imagine that there has to be some worry down here in the southern units with all the traffic that comes through here. I keep having this reoccuring fear that after a long day of hunting I am going to come back to camp to find everything taken.

Any advice or tips is much appreciated in advance!

2. Play the wind, get him on ice asap,and don't leave anything in camp that you can't live without. If you have trouble finding deer let me know and I'll ask my cousins. They live there and one room a real nice buck out of there last season.

3. ...or get a couple of buds with no tags to help out in camp.

Better yet, invite people that have a different hunt than you. They help out in your camp, you return the favor by helping out in their camp.
    Have fun.

4. AZ Cat, I would love to get out and help out in a buddies camp if they help me out... but, with a little one at home now, I doubt it would fly with the wife. lol

5. use the wind, use a camping stove, keep all hunting gear you are going to use and wear far away from the campfire etc and in a sealed garbage bag only to be opened and closed when putting in or taking out items. as soon as arrive in camp, undress and put normal clothes on. get a deer, get out of camp... bring to processor or fridge asap, the hunting temps here are way to warm to play with that... 80 plus deg days aint no good for meat

6. I actually would say that the campfire smell isnt much of a problem. I personally would say that you are much better off smelling like burned wood then you are smelling like a human. In unit 17a a few years ago on a turkey hunt i saw a deer eating on an oak tree literally 5 feet from a pile of burning sticks and such piled up by the forest service. I think the smoke smell is a smell that doesnt send up a red flag for the animals. With that said it is still wise to play the wind and try to keep yourself from stinking too bad. I also agree with crtbc, if the weather is warm (anything above 50 degrees) get that critter to a fridge or meat processor asap. The main reason i think alot of peopld think that game meat is "gamey" is because it is starting to rot.

7. If you are hunting in either of those two units and take a deer, just get it to the truck and drive to the processor. It's close enough to get it there and get back to camp. If you're a little further out, stop at the quick stop and buy a few bags of ice to pack in the chest cavity or quarter it and put it in the cooler on ice for the transport. You really don't want to deal with work, fight the wife, endure all the last minute headaches that always pop up before a hunt, just to go sweat your rear off, take a deer and then lose the meat.

As far as camp smoke and smells, if it's a rifle hunt, I play the wind. I like my camp fires at night with meat on the grill and in these southern units you start sweating in no time. So it is a LOT of work to manage scent control. Now a bow hunt is a whole different game! :cool:

Good luck with the draw! Let me know if you get 34A and I may be able to help out a little.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  8. Regarding the smell issue. I've always taken care to wash the night before and where clean clothes but haven't really seen a pro or con until last year's elk hunt. I washed my clothes in the "special" scent removing soap and put each days clothing in individual large zip-lock bags. The night before opening day I took a shower (have a trailer) with the scent removing soap, put on the clean clothes in the morning, and even sprayed my whole body from heel to hat with scent away. Started a stalk just after first light on a bull. The weather was cold and I wasn't sweating. I had the wind in my face while sneaking through the trees for about an hour (never could get a clear shot). But in one millisecond the wind changed and I felt it across the back of my neck. With all the preperations I had made toward eliminating my scent, it didn't matter, because within that millisecond I heard the bull snort and he hauled a$$. Moral of the story...keep the wind in your face and the odors won't matter. That's for rifle hunting.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  9. Yep, watch the wind. There is a product called "UV Killer" that I use. Just like any other product some like it and some don't. I need all the help I can get while sneaking and have had deer within 10' turning their head side to side looking at me trying to figure out what I was so I use it all the time while hunting deer and elk. It also comes with a scent killer detergent for your hunting clothes. I also offer up a couple of Easton arrows to the hunting gods on occason for their favors. lol

10. Another trick my hunting guru buddy taught me is to use the native plant leaves. Even if you use all the commercial products as advertised, you're still going to sweat if you do any hiking. So, no matter where you are in the state, simply pull off some of the leaves (I'm using the word leaves to relate to any green vegitation you will find on plants), crumble/pulverize the material between your hands, and wipe it on your clothes. You'll smell like the souroundings. This works with desert plants as well as forrest. Wipe it especially good in areas where you sweat, i.e., arm pits, hat sweat band, and torso.