Arizona Hunting Forums banner

Cast iron waffle iron

3K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  az-jim 
#1 ·
How many of you make waffles in camp or at home with cast iron?
What iron do you use?
Im disappointed to see Lodge doesn’t seem to make one, unless my Google-foo is out of whack. Antique irons are expensive and the Amazon offerings have iffy reviews and seem cheaply made.
Any suggestions?
If you have some other method that works, or they don’t even look like traditional waffles I’d like to hear it.

#2 ·
I can't really speak to waffles specifically, but my fiancé recommends a "cast iron campfire sandwich maker". She used to help run the kitchen at a church camp down in Kentucky, for what that's worth. She claims it makes for some pretty good French toast, pies, and hot sandwiches. She also highly recommends copious amounts of butter or pam spray.

My personal thoughts regarding the amazon campfire waffle irons are this; it's fairly hard to really mess up cast iron, and in the event that the hinge is loose or something, a blow torch and a hammer is a solid fix for that. I also found an article that highlights a few here 5 Best Waffle Maker for a Camping Fire Stove | Kitchen Acorns

#3 ·
#5 ·
It’s only another 8 pounds lol

#7 ·
Oh, my wife is no different lol

#10 ·
Now, waffles fresh made over the fire and some fresh churned peach ice cream... That's worth the weight! Get it? "Weight" ...wait.
Pun for the day 😂
Im drawing the line at churning ice cream ……till I get a generator, then I’ll bring the E-ice cream maker :LOL: :LOL:

Reactions: Clifffalling
#12 ·
I got my Lehman’s waffle iron today, it looks ok.
We have a camping trip planned next weekend where we will break it in. I’ll post pics, stay tuned…..

#16 ·
The waffles were delicious! Definitely not a meal for a hunt, it takes too long lol. I will tell you, make absolutely sure you lube the cast iron good before you pour the batter in, or you will have a mess lol. I gave it a pre game run last weekend just to make sure I wasn’t going to fight with it, and make other arrangements if needed. First waffle, and I forgot to lube it….

Sky Tree Tire Hat Cap
Food Waffle Recipe Tableware Ingredient
Automotive tire Tire Wheel Gas Cooking

#21 ·
AH, Wheres the butter, syrup and peanut butter ???
uh yeah, that waffle looks pretty dern dry! 😁

Looks like a good first run though, I'm gonna have to get an iron eventually. Wife and I were camping at Roosevelt over the weekend (went to Bartlett first, it was ridiculously packed up there due to water levels, couldn't access the Flats) and while we always make some excellent camp meals, the old standby of eggs is getting a little tiresome.

#24 ·
How many of you make waffles in camp or at home with cast iron?
What iron do you use?
Im disappointed to see Lodge doesn’t seem to make one, unless my Google-foo is out of whack. Antique irons are expensive and the Amazon offerings have iffy reviews and seem cheaply made.
Any suggestions?
If you have some other method that works, or they don’t even look like traditional waffles I’d like to hear it.
I used to be a Lodge Cast Iron fan but now I use Petromax cast cookware. They even make a smaller Dutch oven for making stews and beer bread or corn bread. Good quality too.

#25 ·
Can you pre-mix the batter at home before camping and store it in a jar or bottle? I've done this with pancake and it worked well, but never messed with waffle batter. While camping just heat the skillet and squirt or pour the batter, makes it easier and quicker.

#26 ·
Waffle mix can’t be much different than pancake mix, so you probably could. We pre made the dry ingredients in a zip lock bag, the milk, egg, and vanilla extract we did at cooking time, only took a few minutes to mix it all together. But I would consider mixing it all and putting it in a Mason jar.

Reactions: bearfoot1
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.