Changing Times

Discussion in 'Community Campfire' started by Chief, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief Guest

Scenario: Jack pulls into school parking lot with deer rifle in gun rack.

1956: Vice principle comes over, takes a look at Jack's rifle, goes over to his truck and gets his rifle to show Jack.

2006: School goes into lockdown, FBI called, Jack is hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or rifle again. Counselor called in for traumatized student and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1956: Crowd of students gather, Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends. Nobody goes to jail, nobody arrested, nobody expelled.

2006: Police called, SWAT team arrives arrest Johnny and Mark. Both charged with assualt, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffery won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.

1956: Jeffery sent to principles office and given a good paddling. Sits still in class

2006: Jeffery given hugh doses of ritalin. Becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from state because Jeffery has a disability.

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.

1956: Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes on to college.

2006: Pedro's cause is taken up by state politicans. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English school teacher. English is stricken from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he can't speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from 4th of July, puts powder in model airplane bottle, blows up red ant hill.

1956: Many dead ants.

2006: BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism. FBI investigate parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's dad goes on terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

I may be the oldest one on here, I sure do remember taking my rifle/shotgun to school for hunting after school. Also remember the school allowing you to take time off during harvest time on the farms and first day of deer season was a holiday. Playing mumbly-peg out in the playground with you favorite pocket knife, many times joined by a teacher.

2. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

Chief, we can all thank the extreme liberals for pursuing singular rights that trample on the rights of the majority.

I too can relate to the "good old days" and look fondly back at them. I look at where we're headed, and I thank God I was born during the baby boomer era.

I was paddled at school, played with lead painted toys, got in fist fights on the playgrounds, practiced nuclear fallout drills at school, and rode my bike behind the city mosquito sprayer (DDT). Back then, nobody sued (McDonald's) for spilling hot coffee in their laps, the cops for "police brutality" (Rodney King), and killers/murderers were found guilty (unlike OJ).

I hate to sound fatalistic, but with all the global problems we face today, one has to believe the end is near.

AZ~Thunder

3. Chief

Chief Guest

Glad to see ya back again.

4. Cochise

Cochise Guest

It's just ashame how things are, and are heading these days. I remember washing my hands with DDT before lunch. It's great at removing grease from your hands. It seemed like I always had a gun of some sort in the truck. Sometimes I would even make it to school. I've always carried a pocket knife. Even through childhood. I never considered it a weapon, and neither did anybody else. Until now anyways. How about video games? How much time do a lot of kids and adults spend on those things? When I was old enough to work. I was expected to do my share. Now they have child labor laws. A lot of familys don't even spend much time together. School was for learning. Not a form of free daycare, or a way to fill your children's head full of liberal crap. I actually had a so called teacher tell my child that I was a murderer. Because I hunt. I could go on. But I think that's enough for now. Yep Chief. It's ashame how things seem to be going these days. I wonder if our kids will grow up and think that now a days were the good ole days.

5. TallPaul

TallPaul Guest

That is great. And true.
    Hey there AZ~Thunder, Nice to see you back.

6. Yep.....been there ....done that. I just can't believe the fall our society has taken. Unbelievable the crap that we are seeing in schools and other venues!

7. TallPaul

TallPaul Guest

And do you know when the fall of our society started........ WHEN THEY TOOK "PRAYER" OUT OF SCHOOL!!! ( just my opinion -JMO ).

8. Even in the late 80's ( my generation) it wasent as bad as it is today. I always had several guns in the truck, always carried a pocket and a folding belt knife to school. Had there been someone crazy enough to start shooting during school hours there would have been a mad rush for the parking lot and an armed contingent returning to take care of the problem before the police would have been able to mobilize anything.

Now days, A high schooler who was defending his litle sister from a bully on the bus. ( held the offender upside down and gave him a good shake) gets sued and costs him and his parents $35,000. Even after every attack on the little sister was well documented by the bus driver and the child had been reprimanded several times for the same thing.
    My oldest daughter is being picked on at school by several girls ( smaller then her) and the school tells us its not their problem and the cause is not enough parental control at home with these other girls. Instead of having the school deal with it we are forced to move her to another school. I will not tell my kids not to denfend themselves. And I believe she would have hurt several of them if they had pushed her to far. And they were approaching that point.

Got to love the system. The school is 100% correct on one thing. It is a lack of parental control on the parents part. And the schools are left helpless to do anything. Corpral punishment is out, and the schools have no leverage. The Kids are allowed to get away with about anything.

I was always scared to death of the switch hanging on the wall. Now days that will get you 5-10 in the state pen.