Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked the National Forest webpage and didn't get a whole lot of info. Hence the question to the group. Planning on a fishing trip to Chevelon Canyon Reservoir at the end of February. I know some of the roads are closed for the season, but, is there anyway to get to the lake?

Any info would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
6,610 Posts
Rich, my neighbor is the WM for Unit 4A and I just sent him a text for an answer. Will advise when and if I get a reply.

Edit: Rich, the 4A WM said SR99 to the 504 Rd to the 169 Rd to the 169B Rd is open to Chevelon Canyon Lake. He checked with the 5A WM and he says the 319E Rd east of SR 87 (North of the Starlight Pines development) is also open. The Rim Road is closed and all roads south of the Coconino Forest Ranger Station are too.

·
Registered
246 Posts
There's no vehicle access to the lake. You have to hike down from the campground.

·
Super Moderator
13,711 Posts
Road is open to drive quad down, was 2 weeks ago, no drive around.

Reactions: Rich B

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the roads are closed, I not the one to drive around barriers. I figure someone a lot smarter then me choose to close the roads. I also hate rutted roads.

Glad to hear that BearFoot

·
Super Moderator
13,711 Posts
Oh, Ive done that hike several times before, But it was a long time ago, and I was not as Fat, quad ride is great for Old Guys now, hope they leave access open for quads, I think it should be against the law to block the road, close off access to such a pretty lake cause you cant walk down or back up. Spring overflow at the dam is best time to fish and catch decent size browns. Well worth the trip, still pretty cold for camping out in tent, Maybe SteveG will bring his trailer and Microwave.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Myself, a friend, and my girl (dog) Chloe, spent the weekend out at Chevelon Canyon Lake and it was really a beautiful area. Lots of great camping all around and very little traffic which we loved. We had the place to ourselves Sunday, so we decided to hangout even longer. Unfortunately, we caught no fish but besides trolling around the lake for a couple hours, we did more hiking, swimming, beer drinking, and dog playing which made for a great trip. We did run into a Gamer Ranger at the water who checked our licenses and reminded us of the artificial lures only and 2 trout limit. He also mentioned quads are allowed to drive down.

Now for the story: I may have to accept the fact that I am no longer in my prime. My buddy and I packed up my Hobie with wheels and what we thought was a light load, he brought along a foldable kayak and headed down. It took about 35 minutes to get down and we knew we were in trouble but we weren’t going to let it ruin our time on the water. The way out took us about 2.5 hours of taking it 20-30 yards at a time. We found some sick enjoyment out of getting it done but I can confidently say I will never be fishing down there in a kayak again unless I have a quad. Brutal!... but Beautiful.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a side by side, not really a quad, but I wonder, is that acceptable transportation down the path. Thanks for the update Jacob. Looking forward to making the trip myself.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a side by side, not really a quad, but I wonder, is that acceptable transportation down the path. Thanks for the update Jacob. Looking forward to making the trip myself.
Rich, I cant give you a for sure answer there. I believe it is a width restriction to get through the openings on the sides of the gates. I would say in the 50" ballpark.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts