closer...no cigar

Discussion in 'Small Game' started by az426, Jan 31, 2007.

1. well,my big javelina hunt was a bust again this year.this also makes me 0 for 3 on the pigs :( but at least this time i finally got to draw back on one ,but i didnt shoot because he was just slightly quartering away a bit too much.it was a tough decision,25 yds all drawn back in a clearing all by himself and i let him walk.pretty dark colored(more black) and at least 45 lbs.it was actually the 2nd time i had crossed paths with this solitary piggy.the 1st time i had just taken my release off and it was in the back pack-go figure.anyways, how did you guys fare?

2. I shot one of the smallest I have ever shot..........
    I spotted a big one, looked down to clip my release on, looked back up and picked out what I thought was him, drew and shot. When I saw him laying there, I thought, "where did this little pig come from?"
    I think he sacrificed himself to save the big one.

3. az426 - I'm 0 for 4, and Garth showed me a spot that was practically a gimme lol

The only pig I saw this year was the one Garth's buddy tagged.

4. AZ426,

I know its not real "ethical", But an arrow "Texas heart shot " style will put most javies down in a hurry. And usually does not ruin any meat. If you key hole them with the shot angle tword the ground you will more then likely either take the heart and or get the broadhead into the cranium. Dosent sounds like a good shot, but I have seen about 5 of them over the years, and the pigs usually do not go farther then about 3 steps. One thing to remember is that its not a big critter. Most bows today will blow right through hips, spine, shoulders, and everything except the frontal head shot. And even then sometimes. Anyhow. Glad to hear you have the patience to wait for a good shot, and the brains not to try what I mentioned above. LOL..

Couple of years ago I hit one quartering away. Like yours it was turned a little farther then I wanted, but in the shadows ( about 1600hrs down in a salt ceder and mesquite thicket) I was not able to see it that way. I had a clear shot at the left front ( opposite) shoulder from where I was standing. My arrow took out the right rear hip socket, shattered the right side pelvis, 2 vertabre, the left front shoulder, and caught the top of the liver and both lungs on its way 40 yards past where the pig fell, which was about 10 feet from where it was hit. I had to track the arrow farther then the pig. I did not realise how much demage was done until I skinned it. Grief I wrecked the right rear quarter, most of both straps, one loin, and the left front shoulder. All said and done I only ended up with about 1/3 of the meat I should have. And that was with a mechanical head. The 3 blade 100gr. Sonoran. What a mess.

When you have one that will not give you a shot like that, make a couple of sucking sounds on the back of your hand or something thats all but inaudible, they will usually turn a little to try and get a bearing on it. I do nto usually wear a glove on my release hand just for that reason. I can suck on the back of my hand at full draw and be ready for the shot if they give it to me. That should give you the shot you need. And if that does not work take a little step in one direction. Kind of slowly, again have your bow drawn, and the pin lined up before you do this. As they cant see very well, a small amount of movement can also get them to turn and try to get both eyes on you.

Keep it up ,, next time will be the charm.

5. thanks for the tips..i'll try to remember that.the whole scenerio lasted maybe 30-45 seconds,i really should have let the arrow go in retrospect but there's always next time i guess.i had a aftershock mechanical -2" cut blades,if i would of had my new slick tricks i would of let one go...lessons the hard way!

6. az426,

Time frame wise. Thats about all any of us get. Next time your out practicing try the hand thing. If you can get good at it while practicing, it becomes second nature when hunting. And not only works for pigs, but for just about anything. Its a somewhat" natural noise" Although not neccessarily a good one. But it will usually make anything turn and look to try and get a bearing on it. If done just barley loud enough for you to hear it. It does not need to be loud or perfect. Just something that somewhat mimics squealing. And another trick of the trade to add to your arsenal of things that sometimes work, and might at some point come in handy.. maybe,,:lol:

Good luck,

Shane