Arizona Hunting Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great community here. I just joined.

My hunting style is solo with a bow. Most of my experience the last few years is in the lower half of 22. I want to go minimal backpack into more remote areas such as the Mazatal Wilderness (sp?). A tarp, bag, pepsi can stove, etc for Coues. Get in and hunt a few days. Any access tips? Sheeps crossing and up, Deer Creek access? Does anyone else hunt in that area? Where do you check for spring reliabilty? What is your method if you do minimal backpack hunting?

Glad to be part of this group. Thanks for any help.

G

·
Welcome azshtr, I like your way-" SOLO WITH A BOW" :lol:
Sorry I'm not a bow hunter anymore..... I think I'll start up again just so I can get a tag.

Just wanted to Welcome you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TallPaul said:
Welcome azshtr, I like your way-" SOLO WITH A BOW" :lol:
Sorry I'm not a bow hunter anymore..... I think I'll start up again just so I can get a tag.

Just wanted to Welcome you.

Thanks TallPaul. I quit rifle the day I was glassing and glassed up a hunter on the other side of the canyon, looking at me, through his rifle scope! I love going out and seeing no other hunter. I love that the deer are not pushed. I love the no hurry pace of bow hunting.

If any of you pack light when hunting check out the pepsi can stove... very cool. I have been using one for 2 years now. I'll never go back to a store bought stove. Google it.

G

·
Hey azshtr, I did the google and all I could fine was this.
I guess it works

I was just kidding..
:lol: looks good and will it cook a 8 cup pot of Coffee?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I have been chasing those stinking little critters with a bow for the last oh 5-6 years or so. Ihave never backpacked in like that. I have pack in horseback a few times for the rifle seasons way back when. When I do hunt them I tend to hunt them just like I would with a rifle. Spot and stalk. Got to have my binos and the tripod. And going it on the fly like you're doing, it would be the same thing. Although I am hearing more and more about folks hunting up there in the pines with tree stands over water and salt-licks. seems to be the way to go now days, and they are coming back with some real nice ones.

Other then that Idont know. Good luck,

Shane

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I have been chasing those stinking little critters with a bow for the last oh 5-6 years or so. Ihave never backpacked in like that. I have pack in horseback a few times for the rifle seasons way back when. When I do hunt them I tend to hunt them just like I would with a rifle. Spot and stalk. Got to have my binos and the tripod. And going it on the fly like you're doing, it would be the same thing. Although I am hearing more and more about folks hunting up there in the pines with tree stands over water and salt-licks. seems to be the way to go now days, and they are coming back with some real nice ones.

Other then that Idont know. Good luck,

Shane

G

·
The only reason Shane repeated that post is that he knows I'm hard of hearing and that I may not have heard him the first time. :wink:

Thanks Shane.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I plead the 5th,

I have no idea how that happened. But will confess that me and computers dont always mix well. Mine has several scuff marks on it fromt he rubber mallet I use to get my point across. LOL

Either way,, Azshtr. Looking back at your post. Sorry I'm not able to help out with those units. I have never hunted either one. I stick to the southeastern part of the state. My house is literally 122 yards from the "4 corners" as it were of hunting units here in Cochise county, and those are the areas I'm usually found in.

HOwever I'm a little envious of your hunting style. I seen you over on the coues site, and am glad someone was able to help you out.

I fyou ever want to give 32,33, 34a, 30b a shot let me know. There are some great areas in 30b that would be specifically suited to your style of hunting. Mostly landlocked by private, and far enough out of the way to keep all but those like you out. And with mulies and coues . Same thing with 32 and some parts of 33 on the wilderness. Lots of areas not suited to road hunting or those not wanting to get far from them.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Rubber mallets are ok but if you really want to get a computer's attention use a 16 oz claw hammer. On a laptop you need to use the claw end. Those screens are pretty resilient. Hitting it repeatedly is the key.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Azstr, try south of Mt Peeler. Several old mines in the area and I have seen some good bucks while puttering around there. I drove down Old Horse Camp Trail once too and there is a dirt tank about halfway down the road that has good sign on it. Then down in the bottom it runs into several old mines that have water coming out of the shafts. Don't worry about people driving the roads, not many as stupid as I am. I don't believe I will ever take my outfit down there again, only reason I made it is because I was going down hill.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts