Arizona Hunting Forums banner

Cow Hunt in Unit 10

Tags
elk
7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Paul Rood 
#1 ·
Hi folks,
I drew a cow tag in unit 10 and want any information that people want to share. I know 51% of it is private ranch and and wondering if that is a good place to hunt.
Thanks
Paul R.

#3 ·
Paul,
Every year we have new people come here because they have just drawn a tag in some unit that they are not familiar with, and ask for information. We call that E-Scouting. We do like to help but chances are we will never hear from those people again.

Get on here, become a familiar name, read and SEARCH past threads on that unit (the search feature is your friend). There is information already here. Go to Game&Fish's Web page, into the hunting section, go to "Where to Hunt" and find your unit. Read the information there. It is posted by the Game Manager for that area. He/She will give you great starting points. Get out and look, walk, drive, glass. Then if you still have questions call G&F office for that area and ask for the game manager. Ask, but you better know what is out there or they will send you back to that "Where to hunt" section.

With all of that said, go the the Welcome and Orientation section on this site and give us a little bit of information about yourself.

Welcome to AHT!

#7 ·
I have tried to get to the page concerning new members. For me it is very difficult to navigate to where i need to go.
I have been to the G&F website and reviewed the information posted on Unite 10. I have been to Williams AZ and looked around that area. It is at the far southeastern corner of the unit as you know. The unit is huge and it is almost impossible to scout the entire unit.
Thanks.

#8 ·
I have tried to get to the page concerning new members. For me it is very difficult to navigate to where i need to go.
I have been to the G&F website and reviewed the information posted on Unite 10. I have been to Williams AZ and looked around that area. It is at the far southeastern corner of the unit as you know. The unit is huge and it is almost impossible to scout the entire unit.
Thanks.
That is why I suggested reading the "Where to hunt". It gives you some places to start scouting. Note the last sentence. That is the key. As Bear always says "boots on the ground". Get OnXMaps for your phone and GPS ,you can use it on both just download the maps to your phone in case you loose GPS on it, and start with the FS roads in these areas. Find water. You will likely find elk. Google Earth to look for trick tanks and mud tanks.

Don't rely on what you find in the summer and early fall. They change locations from one season to the next.

"Areas: The Kaibab National Forest portion of Unit 10 is a good location to hunt elk. The central part of Unit 10 from Mount Floyd north to Long Point, the Bishop Lake Plateau, the Aubrey Cliffs, Robber's Roost, and Cataract Canyon all hold huntable populations. The Coconino Plateau holds a good population of elk right out in the open 'antelope' country far from the trees. Find an area to your liking and put in your time."

You are in the Welcome and Orientation Forum. This thread should actually be in the big game area but since it is here and you can post a bio here we will leave it.

Reactions: SingleShot20G
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.