Arizona Hunting Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some black walnut from an old family tree that was cut about 5 or 6 years ago. I am looking for someone who can shape it into a stock, make a "working heirloom" rifle, persay. Has anyone on this forum had this done before, or have a connection?

Wood is in a slab, has not been cut into blanks yet - was told getting the grain right in the blank cutting process is important, too.

I first tried finding someone back in 2016 in Texas and was told the wood needed to cure longer. They also wanted $5k+. Ideally I'd want it done for around $2k, not including the rifle hardware. Don't know if that is unrealistic. It seems stock options are pre-cut for $300, or custom for $5000. Where is the in between and who can I talk to?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Lawson's in Tucson can do it.
They make some of the nicest stocks out there.
They have several different patterns to choose from.
I have had a few of their custom rifles and stocks , and they are nice.

I had them rough cut a stock for me years ago out of mesquite.
Back then it was right around $100 to do it.
Then I fitted and finished it.
You need to be very careful when fitting it because one little mistake can ruin an expensive piece of wood.
Randy Lawson does all the stock work and he has the patience of Joab.

If you want them to do everything including fit and finish , plan on spending $1500 or more depending on what pattern you want.

As far as drying the wood.
Lawson's dry their wood for 3 years minimum before working with it.
If your wood is 5-6 years old it should be fine as long as it has been stored properly.
Lawson's can tell you all you need to know.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lawson's in Tucson can do it.
I saw on another forum that they might not be taking new work anymore, since Randy got sick last November. Anyone know if that is true?

I would totally pay $1500 for it all. I can try and call tomorrow to see what they say.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I'd be amazed if you found a custom stocker that'd make a stock for anything close to $1K.
I've had two done and granted they were for some pretty fine guns so they took some real effort - but both were in the $5K range......excluding the wood......
I should also mention these guys work at one speed - their own - so you can wait anywhere between a year or two.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In not looking for $1k, I'd pay more than that for sure, just for the stock. And I'd wait a year or two as well.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have used these people before, Richards Microfit stocks. They do not do the complete job , But they do inlet and shape the stock to a scratch finish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts