Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, while I'm in California spending time with family, I thought it would be nice to take my girlfriend on her first Deep Sea fishing trip using my grandpa's fishing tackle as a way to honor him after his passing. I scheduled a cheap, half-day bottom fishing trip, expecting it to be easy going and an easy introduction for my girlfriend.

The white seabass, however, decided to start biting about three days before the trip, so everyone was excited to go after them. Thankfully, we had the morning to try to load up on rockfish and other easy-to-catch species before we tried for the game fish.

IMG_20210602_151941779.jpg
IMG_20210602_092648530.jpg
IMG_20210602_073730922.jpg

I got my first-ever legal sized lingcod, and my girlfriend got to catch a few rockfish before we moved on (which was good because the seabass didn't want to play). All in all, we had a good day, and I was happy to be able to use my grandpa's fishing gear in his honor to help someone else have their first deep sea experience.

RIP Grandpa Don Duncan (1936-2021)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Good job man. I will be in Long Beach soon. I am looking at a deal sea fishing trip myself. Anyone ever book anything out of there?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good job man. I will be in Long Beach soon. I am looking at a deal sea fishing trip myself. Anyone ever book anything out of there?
I've never been out of Long Beach, but they're all going to the same islands off the SoCal coast. White seabass are biting right now.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good evening to all-
Brother, passing on the tools and the experience given to you by someone older to someone who matters to you is the best way to honor someone who has passed. And if you've got a cute lady who will go fishing with you, you have a lot of life's problems whipped.

- Ed
Thanks Ed. I appreciate that. And that's exactly what I had in mind. Pass down some of the things he taught me to someone new. Now I just need her to want to trudge through the cold to go trout fishing 😂

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you honored your grandpa. I'd give just about anything for a few minutes with mine. Also, I love it when us ugly guys land pretty ladies!! Lol
You took all the words right out of my mouth 😂

·
Registered
774 Posts
That's awesome, thanks for sharing the pics and your experience! Hopefully your girlfriend enjoys fishing, and you don't always have to chase trout in the cold!

·
Super Moderator
13,974 Posts
Ive always go out of H&M Landing in San Diego, Reason why, only 3 miles off of I-8, easy to get off and back on for long drive home, lots of expensive secured parking at landing. Plus there's a Seafood restaurant that I love to go to ( Mitches), Right next to Ramp at landing, and have fresh Oysters on Half Shells, steamed clams with Melted Butter and Horseradish sauce. Also fish of the day is to die for with hushpuppies. That and a cold Draft, A Special way to kick off any blue water trip. And the Local 2 legged views are not bad either, Eye candy with dinner, Is there anything better ???

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ive always go out of H&M Landing in San Diego, Reason why, only 3 miles off of I-8, easy to get off and back on for long drive home, lots of expensive secured parking at landing. Plus there's a Seafood restaurant that I love to go to ( Mitches), Right next to Ramp at landing, and have fresh Oysters on Half Shells, steamed clams with Melted Butter and Horseradish sauce. Also fish of the day is to die for with hushpuppies. That and a cold Draft, A Special way to kick off any blue water trip. And the Local 2 legged views are not bad either, Eye candy with dinner, Is there anything better ???
That sounds like a great plan Bear. If I ever go down to visit my friends in San Diego, I may do just that 😂

1 - 13 of 13 Posts