Desert Stock Tank Question

Discussion in 'Bird Dogs, Upland, Migratory & Waterfowl' started by KellyC, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Found Sheds of Elk in alot of tanks, dont overlook them.

2. Oh yeah forgot about that too. A small kayak or inflatable works too. Maybe one of those cat fish donut holes they use on lake pleasant for night time cat fishing

3. yea my first archery deer jumped in the tank and swam to the middle, glad I had a friend with me. Got a rope from the truck, first tied a hondo and tried to rope an antler, damn rope floated. Stripped down and waded out, sides were steep and slick, would have had to crawl out if friend hadn't been on other end of the rope to pull me out. You don't know what the bottom is like until you wade in, tying the rope off first is my suggestion if you are by yourself.

John McLaughlin likes this.
  4. How have your SMs been on water work?

5. I have used several methods to retrieve ducks on tanks. I have collapsible rod and reel that fits in my hunting vest. I use a tiny torpedo with large treble hooks. It works pretty good most of the time. I also have a decoy that has a remote controlled motor. I have used that to push ducks to the bank.

Several years ago, I jumped some ducks off of a tank. I got two, and as the others were flying away, I saw two geese. I was mad that I didn't see them earlier. As I was retrieving the two that I shot, another group came in and I got one more. Then I looked up and the geese were coming back to the pond. I got under cover and ended up getting both. They were Canadians. The tank was shallow and had a lot of brush. My rod and reel failed as the lure got snagged. I had to strip down to my boxers and go for a wade in the tank to get the geese. The next day I bought some waders.

I have used the waders in 4 different tanks here in Southern Arizona. All of them have had pretty firm bottoms. I use a wooden hiking stick to help check out the bottom. You do need to be careful. Some of the guys that run cattle out here will dredge out the tanks, I know several that are 20 or 30 feet deep. You really don't want to step into one like that since they usually have sheer drop offs.

6. Life Insurance up to Date ????

7. rk

rk Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

A BP buddy has seen a cow or two that died stuck in muddy tanks down on the Tohono reservation.

RickWild likes this.
  8. rk, Where is that ???? Think Ive lived in the pines to long ??

9. rk

rk Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

South of Casa Grande and west of Tucson. It used to be called the Papago reservation, but I guess Papago is a bit derogatory so they renamed themselves.

10. OF coarse, got to be Politically correct you know. I know of the Papago, use to artifact hunt just east of Casa Grande, You know when It was legal, Great fun, LOL... The Powers to be always take our fun away !!!!