Arizonahuntingforums.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you probably know...when my mother passed away in October, I received her two little Shih Tzu dogs--14 yrs old. I will need to be bringing them on my future trips. Not really having dogs that I was having to manage their health--looking for some guidance...

I am not confident they would stay around so made some long leashes that they can hang with me in the evenings or at least be outside and have some space--they can always be inside the trailer if needed when I am actually out hunting

The question--do I need to do something about ticks and fleas and potentially anything else I am not aware of? Do I do something like the 3 in 1 collars sold at WalMart/Pets Mart? Shots from a vet? ????

Appreciate any thoughts and guidance---
What about, if not needed here, other states....

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks--Coyotes is a concern of mine, even where I live....So are other predators--we have bobcats that walk our walls. I do not believe that I have plans (could be an exception as --forgotten and did not watch them well) to leave them outside unattended. More from a fear of getting tied up "wrong"... but great point to remember--thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,403 Posts
Leave them home with wife, LOL.... ???? Did your mom keep dog "Records" ?

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leave them home with wife, LOL.... ???? Did your mom keep dog "Records" ?
Wife--not going to happen more than a day or two.....LOL
No real records...I ended up starting over with a local vet and getting shots done and check ups. The vet she used (that I knew about) I reached out to first--he said he had not seen the dogs in about 18-24 months....so....things were a little worse than I had thought with her, I was finding out....

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
More likely to get ticks from the backyard grass than in the wild. Use the little squirt packets for fleas and ticks that gets into their skin.
Bring kennels and resuable zip ties for when putting them away while you are out or at night.

·
Super Moderator
13,403 Posts
Cool, little Hairy Targets, Wheres my .50 BMG ?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Steve, the little dogs rely upon us for survival more than they know. My little guy has been the source of more than a few gray hairs. He wants to play with any and all dogs of all sizes, not all dogs are friendly with small dogs and the ones that are run the risk of playing too ruff or stepping on the little guy breaking ribs, legs, back or neck. Then you have to watch for coyotes, wolves, bears, bobcats, cougars, fox, snakes, raccoons, skunks, wolverines and badgers, pretty much anything with claws and or teeth. If that wasn’t a chore enough, now you have to turn your eyes to the sky. Death from above is a real thing for these little guys day and night. Eagles, hawks, falcons, buzzards, magpies and crows, then the most deadly and silent stealthy owls and nighthawks. Fleas or ticks would be a relief lol. I live in the country surrounded by farmland as far as the eye can see, and on the edge of Idaho’s Birds of Prey National Reserve. I have to be on alert anytime he goes outside day or night, he can’t be alone or far from me. I never liked small dogs until I had one pushed on me, and now I realize why many people love them, but they are a lot more maintenance then even my midsized pit bull/dingo, that just turned 20 years old this last November.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
0EF610AF-286F-469B-94B8-092D82AF47E3.jpeg
Meister, chihuahua, 4.5 years old. (son of Jager who was murdered before his sons birth) Below: Carab, pit bull/dingo, 20 years old.
9FEFBEDD-B9C2-4A5C-9569-444C0118DAD6.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
13,403 Posts
And meister is a lover, loves to be played with, and just messed with.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Zip t
More likely to get ticks from the backyard grass than in the wild. Use the little squirt packets for fleas and ticks that gets into their skin.
Bring kennels and resuable zip ties for when putting them away while you are out or at night.
Zip ties for??? Squirt packets?? Of tick repelent?

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Painter--thanks! did not think danger from above...They are work, but a joy as well!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Seconded Khmer, they make tick/flea medicine for dogs, little packets, and you put it on their back between their shoulder blades so they can't lick/chew it... Lasts for a couple months.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Steve,

Consider a fold up pen with a roof when you take them out in the trailer. Fleas are not a big problem in the desert unless you have them inside your house. They need moist grass to survive and very few of us in Tucson have any grass. Ticks are easier to check for but we do have ticks.

Thanks for taking your Mom's pups. All dogs deserve good care to the end of their natural life.

Zack

·
Registered
457 Posts
We have three that are ankle size! Chick, is 17, When our oldest deployed We took in our grand daughters Minpin [2 years old], and when the middle son deployed we got their 15 year old Teacup. I don't think either are ever going back. I don't think I'd take them hunting! Our local groomer boards for $20 a day. DR

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DR--I have used PetsMart as the boarder a couple of times...the last was the LAST...the male gets very protective of his sister. He get upset when I leave....to the point of bowel issues and throw up. I explained this to them and that he must be kept with his sister and after a day, he is better of me not being around. Plus he does not get along well with other dogs (mom did not really socialize them). Well, my last trip, he got sick--they rushed him to the VET ER which found nothing but gave him some meds (bill)...THey did call me and I approved the taking to the Vet just to be sure all was ok...that night, bowel issues--they rushed him back to the VET ER who found nothing, another bill. During both events, I stressed to keep them together (they were already in a private room)..I cut my trip early and came back, found out that they put both dogs in different ALONE room based on their policy. EVEN though the Vet and I said the issue was probably the fact he get nervous with all that has happened.

Maybe I have to take a look at a local place--the couple I did check wanted nearly $40 per day per dog. If gone a week, nearly $1,000...

I do have a pen with a cover--will probably take that with me on this trip...really going to be about finding a way to make it work--leaving them at home prob is not really an option.

For those that have seen me hunt--I could use the dogs now as an excuse at least...LOL If this first trip becomes a "stay in camp" type of event...not an issue at all. Will work to find a solution as time goes on. The major point is that THEY are ok...they have become my kids--if that makes sense

Appreciate all the comments!! Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
13,403 Posts
$1000 a week, LOL... Im in the wrong business !!! Thats Highway robbery, those kennel keepers should be put in the cage for a few days. Was going to offer a cage, but you got one already. Vets are so dang expensive for something that does not talk, Stick a thermometer up the bung hole, LOL....

·
Registered
457 Posts
DR--I have used PetsMart as the boarder a couple of times...the last was the LAST...the male gets very protective of his sister. He get upset when I leave....to the point of bowel issues and throw up. I explained this to them and that he must be kept with his sister and after a day, he is better of me not being around. Plus he does not get along well with other dogs (mom did not really socialize them). Well, my last trip, he got sick--they rushed him to the VET ER which found nothing but gave him some meds (bill)...THey did call me and I approved the taking to the Vet just to be sure all was ok...that night, bowel issues--they rushed him back to the VET ER who found nothing, another bill. During both events, I stressed to keep them together (they were already in a private room)..I cut my trip early and came back, found out that they put both dogs in different ALONE room based on their policy. EVEN though the Vet and I said the issue was probably the fact he get nervous with all that has happened.

Maybe I have to take a look at a local place--the couple I did check wanted nearly $40 per day per dog. If gone a week, nearly $1,000...

I do have a pen with a cover--will probably take that with me on this trip...really going to be about finding a way to make it work--leaving them at home prob is not really an option.

For those that have seen me hunt--I could use the dogs now as an excuse at least...LOL If this first trip becomes a "stay in camp" type of event...not an issue at all. Will work to find a solution as time goes on. The major point is that THEY are ok...they have become my kids--if that makes sense

Appreciate all the comments!! Thanks...
Ours like the groomer and would be happy to stay there! She puts all three in a large kennel together. It's sized for a large dog with indoor and outdoor runs. But they are very social. DR

1 - 19 of 19 Posts