Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I drew a 34A Coues Tag. That's good enough for me. There's too much going on with trying to sell the house and move - to deal with a lope or elk tag...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Well isn't this just like a swift kick to me lucky charms... :shock: :shock: :roll:
Struck out this year looks like. I guess it's archery deer for me. Anyone interested in an archery Kiabab hunt?
I'm thinking I just may have to give that a shot, but I'm an archery rookie. Any intrest? Any tips?
Thanks in advance.
Ron

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Dutchman, my hint for archery deer - pick a different unit. The strip country gets overwhelmed during archery season with Az folks that didn't get drawn and more out-of-staters than you can shake a stick at. If you want a little elbow room and not too many people try somewhere south of I-40. And when Dec hits try the desert areas, all you need to do is hunt water. If you find a tank with fresh sign and can sit it from 07:00 to 10:00 3 days in a row you will have deer come in. And jan is when the mule deer rut kicks in, that is a good time to hunt too.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Thanks AZslim, I appreciate the advice. I'm not too much for crowds, and would much rather have a little elbow room.
Now that I think about it, South of I40 would be a whole lot more economical too. My old truck will get me there, but I need frequent gas stops.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Oh yea, I got 5BS archery bull, my daughters got cow tags in the Limited Op units and my youngest got her deer tag in 42. Looks like no sitting home pouting for me this fall. Now if I can just get some guiding business thrown in I will be estatic.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I drew unit 21 December whitetail and that was it.

I agree with Slim. Don't go to the Kiabab. I went last year and have gone several other years and it is very crowded!!! There are many other areas to go that still hold good quality bucks. Congrats to those that have drawn!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Dutchman, archery deer is my passion. I'm not very good at it but it sure is fun.

Just an opinion, but there is some Sept. archery deer hunting not that far from the valley that is as good as anything open north of the Colorado River. And buy an archery turkey tag while you're at it.

The late desert rut hunt can be phenomenal, just pray for a dry year. Wet years can be a bitch to hunt.

Blake, are you going after that bear at the tank you had your trail cam on last year? If time permits I may have to give bear hunting a shot this year.

Almost forgot, no draw for me this year but my family drew 5 general deer tags and one unit 9 general bull tag. That should keep me busy until Dec.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey Bruce,

Looks like this year, I will be in 6B for bears. That hunt starts in a few weeks. If that doesn't pan out, I will be back at that tank trying to find that monster. One thing is for sure, though. I will put some serious time in this year for my bear.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Me and DesertBull heading out for bears on the 11th

Creed - you'll be freed up just in time to take me out and ejamucate me, on them desert mulies in January :D

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
creed said:
Dutchman, archery deer is my passion. I'm not very good at it but it sure is fun.

Just an opinion, but there is some Sept. archery deer hunting not that far from the valley that is as good as anything open north of the Colorado River. And buy an archery turkey tag while you're at it.

The late desert rut hunt can be phenomenal, just pray for a dry year. Wet years can be a bitch to hunt.

Blake, are you going after that bear at the tank you had your trail cam on last year? If time permits I may have to give bear hunting a shot this year.

Almost forgot, no draw for me this year but my family drew 5 general deer tags and one unit 9 general bull tag. That should keep me busy until Dec.
Thanks much for the info. I bought a bow last spring and practiced well enough to be comfortable (2" group) at 30 yards. I went out one time up near Stoneman lake and had a blast, although I didn't see much.
Is there any one method you feel is better than the others? I may have to simply try it, but sitting in a blind or a hole for hours on end just doesn't sound too fun to me. I was trying the old spot and stalk method when I went out, and did manage to get within about 45 yards or so of a big doe. My mistake was simply not doing enough scouting in the area before hand. I had a pretty good handle on where the deer were about the time I had to leave. Maybe they'll still be around there this year. Good idea on the turkey tag, although I hear they are a super challenge to hunt.
Please keeps the tips coming; I'd just like to get started on the right foot....archery practice for me starts tomorrow at 0530 in my back yard! 8)

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
paul - he's on some of the other sites. CWT mostly. He plans on participating here, but he's been busy. He'll make it.

Great guy - we've hunted together before.

·
Administrator
6,635 Posts
Hey all,

I'm still borrowing my son's computer, but I felt I had to weigh-in and report. I got lucky and drew a Unit 5A rifle bull elk tag. My wife and son drew nothing. Now they're both claiming it's all my fault because I was the one who submitted their apps.:roll:

Desert Rat, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but,... one must earn their passage to hunt desert mulies with Creed in January.

BTW, nobody in his entire family knows his whereabouts during January.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My advice is be flexible and don't get hung in on one style of hunting.
Find where the doe are in Dec. and the bucks will be there when the rut starts.
When hunting desert I look for rolling hills, palo verde, flat brushy washes and a water source within a couple of miles. Use some of the online map services to get started and become familiar with an area you think you may be interested in hunting.
A good pair of optics and a GPS can be a big help too.
A mistake I see a lot of guys make is trying to learn a complete unit or a very large area of a unit. Pick out a smaller area and become intimate with it. When you learn that one move on to the next area.
And if you can shoot 2" groups at 30 yds you're good to go.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Desert Rat, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but,... one must earn their passage to hunt desert mulies with Creed in January.
But I AM earning it!! By being a big suck-up. No, the biggest!

By the way creed - I took the liberty of sending you some fresh flowers today.. oh - and a gift certificate for a pedicure....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got pretty lucky tis year drew unit 7 lope, 21early White tail, and 22south archery bull. Before this I have only drawn javelina, turkey, and last year a 21 whitetail december hunt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts