Arizona Hunting Forums banner

Elk, Antelope Draws 2023

13K views 96 replies 33 participants last post by  bearfoot1 
#1 ·
Its That time again next month:

Ok Guys- Its time again to apply for Elk and Antelope. So for elk, do you hunt an area that you know well but the elk get to hiding on first day, or do you put in for an area you have tagged in but dont know it as well but is loaded with elk ? Or put in because of number of permits or draw percentage or success rate? Alot to think about. Now speed Goat, last year a buddy put in for a hard to draw unit, took 16 points to get drawn, Im not waiting that long, so I guess Im only going to put in for 2 choices and pray I get lucky, who knows maybe I will. Last time I got drawn it was a choice area and it took 12 points to be drawn, again to long to wait. So what does everyone else think, Late hunts are easier to draw but I hate the cold and weather, so Im doing early hunts.

#6 ·
I've gotten to know more units and there potential, so I am definitely going to throw a wider loop this go around.
I will stick to the same old spot until it lets me down. You know the area. Maybe we might end up with the same draw some year. I’ve got enough Cows in the past, so it would be nice to get a respectable Bull someday 😀

#11 ·
CMoor, Good strategy, but tell that to the thousands that think the same way for 1 of say 350, bad odds. Sometimes the best odds are for small tag numbers, colder, later draws.
You have to check the numbers on say last 5 years to see if it's a Good choice. There are numerous hunts that are close to 90-100% draw still.
And these are not bad units. Is there a bad unit, maybe a metro unit wouldn't be Ideal.

Reactions: CMoor
#12 ·
Good thread, Im really debating what to do this year. For elk, the last 5 years Ive done limited opp and have seen elk each year until this year. This year I didnt see any elk, and saw very little fresh sign. I ran into a guide in the area and he said this year was bad, the elk were scattered and hard to find. Too much feed and water this year. So I'm debating if I want to put in for it again. Im thinking about getting a sxs to get me deeper into some areas I want to explore. Otherwise, I figure I'll throw a hail mary for a good unit, knowing that I'll get a bonus point. I might just focus on the kids youth hunt, hoping they get drawn.
For antelope, I'll put in for a unit where I've seen antelope in 4 or 5 different areas. I only have 3 or 4 points, so I figure I'll just get another point this year.

Reactions: Ranger
#21 ·
Our group truly feels the animals have or are migrating. The unit we hunt has gone dry, I’m no expert of course but we’re just not seeing them in numbers like in the past. Switching units I’m ok with, always happy to see new country. Good luck everyone.

#37 ·
They figured out how to reduce both harvest numbers and hunter numbers I think. Put the late bull hunts when it’s cold and or chance of access being closed when it snows :unsure:

#39 ·
My buddy told me that they moved most hunts by 1-2 weeks because of the late start to the rut. Many hunters who were drawn for the first "rut" hunts heard no bugling last year, and few could get responses. Harvest was low for those hunters. That in turn has pushed everything else back 1-2 weeks.

I've heard the same about the late rut from hunters in Washington, Idaho, and Colorado.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.