Arizona Hunting Forums banner

Elk hunting 6A

8K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  bearfoot1 
#1 ·
Hello all, my name is Jordan and I am new here. I been applying for AZ for a couple years now and the other day I get a call about a suspicious transaction on my card. So I did a little digging and saw that AZ game and fish withdrew $650 from my card. Was Not planning on hunting in AZ for a few more year but I guess and most likely will be hunting the late season(rifle) in 6A. I am a Montanan and am no stranger to hunting pressured elk and deer. Just looking to see what I can expect as far as terrain, pressure, weather, quality, etc. not looking for anyones secret spot just an idea of where to start. My family and I do some outfitting up here in Northern Montana runwolfoutdoors.com

after doing some e scouting im leaning towards starting in the fossil spring wilderness. I have horses so another question is that a good idea to bring them or leave them home and save the cost of extra diesel and a coggins test getting them down there? Anyhow, if anyone out there is willing to point me in a direction please pm me or shoot me a text. All and any info will be complete discrete and appreciated greatly. Thank you in advance. Take care!

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to AHF. Yours is the first of a string of people hunting AZ for the first time and wanting help. We help where we can but start by going to Arizona G&F Web page then to hunting, then to where to hunt, the to your unit and read the info posted there.

It is going to be tough if you cannot scout so hopefully someone will have some information to share. You might also call G&F AFTER reading the info they put out, and ask if the Game Manager/Ranger for that area could call you. He/she may be able to help but be aware they are pretty busy so it could take awhile.

#3 ·
Welcome to AHF. You’re is the first of a string of people hunting AZ for the first time and wanting help. We help where we can but start by going to Arizona G&F Web page then to hunting, then to where to hunt, the to your unit and read the info posted there.

It is going to be tough if you cannot scout so hopefully someone will have some information to share. You might also call G&F AFTER reading the info they put out, and ask if the Game Manager/Ranger for that area could call you. He/she may be able to help but be aware they are pretty busy so it could take awhile.
Thank you for the swift response!!!

#5 ·
Haha yeah note taken. That was kind of my thought process was to get to some places that some might avoid due to terrain difficulties. Looks to be like a ton of roads in the unit and that was one place without them so I was considering starting there. Everything I hunt here in MT( Glacier National Park area) is accessible only by foot or horse and the weather can be brutal so that wouldn’t be an issue for the most part. Thanks for your comment, much appreciated!

#6 ·
Welcome to AHF !!! There are several areas halfway between Camp Verde and Hwy 87 to east that have horse corrals that you may want to use or inquire to use. It would be much easier to do this hunt without horses from Montana and logistics of doing so. Fossil Springs area is a tough hunt on foot, tougher with horses. Maybe try other areas without BIG, Deep canyons to hinder yourself.

#9 ·
When is your hunt? I cannot promise but assuming I get back on my feet soon enough I will be running north to scout for myself in a different unit. If I can I will spend some time in your area looking for you. Do you have a specific area jn mind so I can narrow my efforts

#19 ·
Are you bringing help to haul, if so I would definitely leave the horses behind? That being said I have never hunted with horses, but my most recent complaint is there are too many roads and not enough ways to get away from others, therefore I don't think horses are worth the effort. But as you are aware - hauling an elk is effort. Certainly some good bulls in the unit.

#21 ·
Thanks, that’s kinda the consensus I was getting after looking at maps and what not. Might be more of a hassle hauling them down there and not needing them. North or south of the unit better for quality or does weather play a big roll in that too? I’m not too concerned about how cold it can get but more or less does it push them out to different areas? Tonight here at home we’re supposed to have a low of -21 degrees. I’m over the cold for the year but seems we get snow all the up until June

#25 ·
I have hunted limited time in fossil creek south of your unit. I hunt religiously in the Hells Canyon Wilderness in Idaho and I know about Glacier National Park area. Getting into the Arizona wilderness area is not that far of a stretch for you. The difference being it is a lot rockier for horses, more suitable for llamas. Sounds like you have the experience and may be able to pull it off. I have always been a fan of hunting wilderness areas for the reasons you mentioned, less hunter pressure and deep thick nasty cover for those herd bulls to hide in their sanctuary. I don’t know much about 6A as others here do and have stated getting into the hell hole may not be necessary for a good bull, but I am with you and understand the lure of such a place. You may have to walk your horses rather than ride, but that would be better than packing out, most assuredly up hill out of a god forsaken canyon. I would try my best to get some days off and make a trip to your unit this spring before it gets hot and see for yourself. You know what you and Mr. Ed are capable of, it would be worth your time to visit on foot and make that decision. Either way I think you are in for a great hunt!

#28 ·
Dang o snake get you I tell ya what, they are black sinister bastards from the bowels of hell in Arizona. Snake gators make a quieter and less snagging passage through the brush anyway. Cat claws, let me tell you about those ungodly devils tools of misfortune unceremoniously tearing off your clothes, ripping at your flesh and leave you curled up on the ground bleeding yearning for the days of innocent youth. Snake gators.

#30 ·
Geesh Painter that is one heck of a description of Catclaw! Gotta love it when one of those bastards grabs hold of your face and refuses to let go. As far as snakes go I have come across them in the Verde Valley as into mid November. Likely a bit lower than where the Elk might be.

#33 ·
There’s no Elk in 6A, don’t know why people keep putting in for that unit. I happen to put in for that unit because it’s just so nice to walk around there. Second year now that I won’t be hunting there and I ain’t getting any younger. OK, there is a little sarcasm involved with my comment. Good luck on your hunt, wish I was going. Pic of the Cow I got there a few years ago.
Hunting Deer hunting Trophy hunting Hat Working animal

#37 ·
Hi there,
I also moved here from Montana and I kept horses for decades.
It’s different here. While there are some places that seem horse friendly, where I live in northern Az, horses would be a hindrance.
Vast areas are choked off with scrub oak and etc that are not horse friendly. And the water situation. Unless you are very aware of the landscape and vegetation, horses are of questionable value.
I do wish you the best though!
I’m just saying make sure the area is horse friendly. Some on the thread say your area is, 🙂

#38 ·
Have you made it to scout up there? I usually backpack in but I also don’t own horses. If you need someone to help scout I am always will to go glass for the weekend.
That unit should have some good bulls.

I’ll be gone for a colorado elk hunt next week
And will be in Montana for an elk hunt unit 525 the following month. Reach out, if I’m here I’ll run up with you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.