Arizona Hunting Forums banner

Finding Elk

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Eric Haltom 
#1 ·
So one of the first things you hear when learning how to find Elk is "Get away from the roads". When doing my desk scouting for Unit 6A, I found that there is a road in every nook and cranny of this unit and UTVs were all over them. The good thing I found was that a lot of the small fire access roads were either missing or incorrect. The bad thing was there were roads where (according to MVUM) should not be there and were obviously being used. Anyhow, I went up to 6A four times to scout before my hunt and I had a heck of a time finding an area that I couldn't get to with my truck (let alone a UTV). In my mind, the obvious answer was the quiet areas. So I explored Rattlesnake and Pine Grove, but all I could seem to find were other hunters. I'll admit, that my hunting partner quickly lost interest in hiking, so my time in these areas were limited.

My real question here is, in a unit such as 6A, what do you do when roads are everywhere? Since this last hunt was only my second hunt (first hunt was in Unit 1). Should I continue trying to hunt 6A, or should I try different units?

#4 ·
You don't have to get far from the road. Sometimes elk bed down just out of sight of the road. There are "roadless" areas all over 6A, many of them just aren't very big. :)

Try right off the highway even.

#6 ·
Yep, and sometimes they will be less than that! I think they like being able to hear when vehicles keep going and when they stop.

But then, sometimes it takes hiking your arse off to find some elk. If your buddy can't hang, let him stay in camp. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.