Arizona Hunting Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Long time no posting - Been busy moving out of AZ and into UT. My wife and I had a house being built right around the time covid hit and we happened to time everything out very nicely. At the end of the day, I wanted to be closer to WY so I can share the rez with my kids.

For the fourth we made our way up to our house up there and did some fishing. I had been making my son practice his casting in our pool down in Phoenix. He's pretty good for a four year old. As with other kids, he lacks patience so I was a bit concerned.

His uncle talked to him about fishing and said he'd share some root beer and they'd fish together. That was all he wanted to do when we got to the river... "Where's the root beer?!" He never had any in his life, haha! After he chugged his 12oz can, he was dead set on catching a fish. I loaded him up with a Mepps #2 Gold/Copper thing and off we went.

I had to stress to him that he needed to reel it in quickly since the river is a bit shallow in some spots. I even had to go in a few times to get him unstuck, but overall I was impressed. He did end up with his first fish and was the happiest boy around. As a father, it was fun to watch him battle that trout for as long as he did.

Needless to say, we'll be planning another trip soon. He's very much into it and I'm probably going to look around fishing in UT since it is closer to our house.

Hope everyone else is having a good summer!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hey Guys,

Long time no posting - Been busy moving out of AZ and into UT. My wife and I had a house being built right around the time covid hit and we happened to time everything out very nicely. At the end of the day, I wanted to be closer to WY so I can share the rez with my kids.

For the fourth we made our way up to our house up there and did some fishing. I had been making my son practice his casting in our pool down in Phoenix. He's pretty good for a four year old. As with other kids, he lacks patience so I was a bit concerned.

His uncle talked to him about fishing and said he'd share some root beer and they'd fish together. That was all he wanted to do when we got to the river... "Where's the root beer?!" He never had any in his life, haha! After he chugged his 12oz can, he was dead set on catching a fish. I loaded him up with a Mepps #2 Gold/Copper thing and off we went.

I had to stress to him that he needed to reel it in quickly since the river is a bit shallow in some spots. I even had to go in a few times to get him unstuck, but overall I was impressed. He did end up with his first fish and was the happiest boy around. As a father, it was fun to watch him battle that trout for as long as he did.

View attachment 26464

Needless to say, we'll be planning another trip soon. He's very much into it and I'm probably going to look around fishing in UT since it is closer to our house.

Hope everyone else is having a good summer!
His first fish was a brown?! Boy, is he ruined. Now he's going to think it's all clear flowing rivers and big fish from here on out. Just teasing of course. Congrats to your son on his first fish, and congrats to you on making the lifelong memories

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
So is that Bull Lake or Dinwoody? I miss fishing those lakes and rivers. Bet they are flowing low right now?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is that Bull Lake or Dinwoody? I miss fishing those lakes and rivers. Bet they are flowing low right now?
The river was pretty low... Not as bad as some summers though.

It was north fork, or coyote basin, whichever you may know. I used to frequent that river every other day since it required effort and a 4x4 to get to. Our house is near the fort, so we fish the streams close to home.

I knew I could count on Painter asking the real questions.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Nice fish, Big smile

Green.

·
Super Moderator
14,264 Posts
The river was pretty low... Not as bad as some summers though.

It was north fork, or coyote basin, whichever you may know. I used to frequent that river every other day since it required effort and a 4x4 to get to. Our house is near the fort, so we fish the streams close to home.

I knew I could count on Painter asking the real questions.
He Better, He lives next door, its his backyard !!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts