Arizona Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doesn't fire season typically start in April? I haven't heard of any yet this year - maybe it will be a quiet season.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
As of abotu an hour ago we have one on top of the Santa Ritas. There haev been a few in the Huachucas already. Yep its already starting and should be a bad year for fires unless we get some moisture. Lots of fuels out there, and they are all dry. Fuel humidity is 0 to -4 right now. That means flash fires and lower limits for red flag days.

Make sure you have a buffer zone around your houses if you are anywhere close to any fuels. 30 feet is reccomended, but I would go a little farther if your in the trees.

Shane

G

·
We had one just a week or so ago, in the canyon on our north side. Didn't burn much and they got it under control in a hurry. The Huachuca's are always one of the hardest hit areas. In 1977 I sat on our roof top all night with hose in hand putting out ambers as they hit the roof. We had to evacuate a few years ago because of one of them. Think it's going to be a bad year down here, forest is parched and the least little spark coupled with the high winds we been having and it will be bad.

G

·
The Wild Fire up at Payson is right were I am going Turkey Hunting this weekend.:frusty: So when I heard they saw the fire it was small and today it grew to 2000 aecers.:frusty:

So I hope it is put out by Tuesday. :mad:

·
Registered
588 Posts
sorry to hear it tallpaul i hope they get it taken care of. and that you can get your turkey tag filled :lol2: you need to man i only know 3 poeple that have this year :( it total sucks come on buddy get a turkey!!!!! good luck. watch those fires and keep your ears open for those gobbles :hahaha:

·
Administrator
6,603 Posts
We've had smoke from the Payson fire looming over northeastern AZ all day.

Paul, you're turkey may already be cooked for you. Hope it works out where you can still hunt.

·
Registered
588 Posts
GGGGGrrrr i didnt just read that now!!!did i or did you forget to say that you WOULD TAG IT *cough* :lol2: :frusty: remember i do also work with the G&F lol *cough* i have Reg 3 number in my cell plus this one 1-800-352-0700 everyone should have that 800 # in there cell phone i hope you do at least during hunting season

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
DR, read the post before you fly off the handle.

TD told Paul the turkey was already cooked and Paul asked if he found one already cooked if he had to tag it.

G

·
Thank ya Slim, was trying to find a nice way of saying it, but couldn't and I'm sure my reply would not have been appreciated.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Here is a site to keep track of things burnign in the state, and keep up with closures and what not. http://gacc.nifc.gov/swcc/ . They update it quite frequently this time of the year.

Shane

·
Administrator
6,603 Posts
For what's it worth, a pretty big rain storm is moving through Winslow right now, with light rains and semi-strong wind gusts. From my house I can see south of Chevelon Butte and beyond. The storm has darkened that area completely from view and it appears that the wildfire on the Rim may be getting hammered with rain. I'm guessing there's a better-than-good chance that the Promotory fire is getting a big old dose of much needed Mother Nature!

G

·
That sure is good news! Looks like it wants to rain down here on the border but I doubt that we'll see any moisture. Maybe I should go out a wash the truck and have the wife hang out some laundry, that usually works.

I don't get to excited about fires started by nature, nor do I think we should put them out, even if they are a threat to housing. If started by nature they should be put out by nature, houses be damned. I know this will probably rub some folks the wrong way, but it's the way I feel. Don't build a house on the Mississippi, below sea level in New Orleans or in a forest and expect the tax payers to come to your rescue when things go bad, as they always do.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Chief,

The only thing I have aginst your statement, is I make alot of money coming to the rescue of those in fires way..LOL.. Other then that I agree on every point. And I don tmind getting paid to sit on my tail and wait for something to catch on fire. Where I'm at now thats easy money..

Shane

G

·
For what's it worth, a pretty big rain storm is moving through Winslow right now, with light rains and semi-strong wind gusts. From my house I can see south of Chevelon Butte and beyond. The storm has darkened that area completely from view and it appears that the wildfire on the Rim may be getting hammered with rain. I'm guessing there's a better-than-good chance that the Promotory fire is getting a big old dose of much needed Mother Nature!
AZ~Thunder, That's worth a lot to me. Thanks for the update. you are closer than I am. I heard that they are going to close FR 300 ( if not already) any word? I heard of the EVACs. , so it does not look very go with storms moving in. I hope it rains a lot. and no wind.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Paul,

As of yesterday they had 300 closed on the east end. You will have to go up through Strawberry to get intot he west end. Everything east and south of FR89 is closed through Bear Canyon lake down through Woods Canyon. But should be able to get into the 56 road and parts north of the 89 hitting it from the west side.

Shane

·
Administrator
6,603 Posts
Well, don't count on my visual weather forecasts again. I'm worse than our meteorologists. It sure looked like it was dumping on the Rim yesterday. Guess the storm cell developed too far north of the Promontory fire and didn't drop any moisture where it was needed. It's so hazey today that I can't even see Chevelon Butte, let alone the Rim country south of there.

There is a 30% chance of precipitation forecast out there for today and tomorrow, so keep praying.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That sure is good news! Looks like it wants to rain down here on the border but I doubt that we'll see any moisture. Maybe I should go out a wash the truck and have the wife hang out some laundry, that usually works.

I don't get to excited about fires started by nature, nor do I think we should put them out, even if they are a threat to housing. If started by nature they should be put out by nature, houses be damned. I know this will probably rub some folks the wrong way, but it's the way I feel. Don't build a house on the Mississippi, below sea level in New Orleans or in a forest and expect the tax payers to come to your rescue when things go bad, as they always do.
You are exactly right Chief! I think that very same thing when ever I see these "disasters". We have a stupid motorist law maybe we need a stupid people law.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts