Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am in the market for a hunting rifle. I have a budget in mind but wanted to see what is on the forum. Seems most box stores have nearly nothing.

Want to get a common caliber 308/30-06/300win. Mostly looking to stick with a 30 cal but open to others if the price is right. I am a sucker for mauser actions as well. Not looking to spend a fortune but if you have something you are willing to sell I'm listening.
Sent you a pm

·
Registered
874 Posts
Great first caliber. Congratulations.

Green.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Green,
Thanks I believe he will love it. Put a Burris Droptine 3-9x40mm with a BDC reticle on it I had laying about. Pretty light weight and he should be able to fire a few rounds in the next couple weeks to get it sighted in.

·
Registered
874 Posts
243 was my boys first large caliber. We moved to 6.5x55 when they grow.

Green.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Wel maybe I was wrong yotatrd. It might be up to the task of an elk! What kind of bullets did you guys use? premium stuff? bonded?

·
Super Moderator
13,711 Posts
khmer, stick to the 338 or 300, maybe the 50, dead is meat on the ground.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wel maybe I was wrong yotatrd. It might be up to the task of an elk! What kind of bullets did you guys use? premium stuff? bonded?
Ruger M77 with 100 gr Hornady Interlocks. Hit the vitals and you're good! With that said, I went up to a 7mm as soon as I could and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like how this thread turned to a discussion. Not being sarcastic just like that it brought good conversation. I personally would probably not use a 243 on an elk just because I do have a 300 weatherby on a Mark V and as I stated before also a 6.5CM in a 700 mtn rifle.

My son did pretty well with some light loaded 75gr varmint bullets. Gonna let him get used to running those then we will up the charge and give it a good then plan to let him use it for deer or smaller critters with 100gr interlocks or 100gr soft points of some sort. If he can't handle those we will look for some 85gr ish sierra soft points or some noslers etc. He was overjoyed when I let him take a look and then said...whoa! Dad that thing has big bullets! I just chuckled as he is used to some rimfire rifles and pistols and a 223 rifle and his biggest gun is a 45cal kentucky rifle that he handles pretty well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts