Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do AZ possession limits apply to what you have at home, processed? I've heard in California it does, but in Washington it does not.

Dove possession limit is 45. Does that mean I can only have 45 mourning and white wings? Would the carry over to the late season too?

Not that have that many anyway. Still a budding hunter.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I dont think theres a limit AT your house. But in the field is normally like 2 or 3 days of the daily bag limit. So if you were camping, thats your allowed limit while "out". Similarly theres a fishing possesion limit like this as well. Same concept, something like 2-3 of the daily

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Once you have the meat at your house and it is ready to be processed (no longer attached to the bird or the wings) it does not apply to the possession limit.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
But if I am living in my trailer, and that is my "house" and I take it hunting with me, then....do I have no limit what I can store in my trailer? What if I say I live in my tent...then.... jk

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Be careful guys. I believe it doesn't matter where you have them, it's 45. However, no one's going to ever check anyone's freezer at home unless they have a warrant and/or probable cause. Meaning, if you're like some "hunters" who take more than they should and someone turns you in or you're observed, it could happen. That's why they wrote it that way. You could shoot a deer and not tag it, take it home to put in your freezer, and go back for a second one, if no one catches you. That's why Arizona has bag & possession limits. They're not trying to harass the ethical hunters but catch the game thieves.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, anything that has possession limits, sounds like maybe freezer counts. So 45 doves in the freezer would be my limiy (sans eurasians). But maybe I could gift those to my wife or daughter, and then get up to 90 or 135? That's a lot of dove to have around uneaten, but speaking mostly theoretically. But then for say, a deer, bag limit is 1 per calendar year, but no possession limit, so you could have more than 1 in your freezer (like 1 harvested in December, then 1 harvested in January)?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Always better to safe than sorry. And yes, if you had 3 people living in your household with hunting license and migratory bird stamp, you could have 135 doves (excluding Eurasians). But ask G&F and let us know what they say.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Always wondered how this actually worked. I always count what I eat haha! Replace as needed! Never have problems with duck and quail just doves. With 2 licenses in the house we almost never get close to 90.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
No reply from fish and game yet, but I found this rereading the dove regs, "The possession limit is the total number of harvested doves allowed to be possessed. This includes all doves harvested from previous days and those given to you by other hunters. This ap-plies to all doves you have on your person, in your cooler, vehicle, any temporary lodging and at your place of residence."

For me to "give" them to my wife so they aren't part of "my" possession, does she have to have a license? Or does it not work like that?

·
Super Moderator
13,711 Posts
I believe that in the possession rule, total taken up to your limit ,means just that, Total number at residence applies, and yes your wife would need to have a hunt lic, dove stamp, ect. to be legal.

·
Super Moderator
3,631 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts