Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK..getting my camper set up...think I found a great little solar panel system..but now looking at generators. It was suggested to be sure larger than 2000 watts to run the A/C (alone)...found this 4000 system and figured a great back up at home if ever needed as well...any thoughts on brand/reliability/use?

Seems "cheap" compared to others I have seen--but...for a starter??
Like it is dual fuel system and the 10hrs run time seems good?

Love the UNDER $300 range--

Thanks for any thoughts

Sportsman 4,000/3,500-watt Dual Fuel Powered Portable Generator, Runs on LPG or Regular Gasoline-803266 - The Home Depot

·
Registered
784 Posts
No!! DO NOT GET IT! Look at the details and info.
And I bet its loud. 69 db but it doesnt say how far away that measurement is from. And 10 hours is at 50% use.

• High altitude use: this generator is not recommended for high altitude use above 3,000 ft.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No!! DO NOT GET IT! Look at the details and info.
And I bet its loud. 69 db but it doesnt say how far away that measurement is from. And 10 hours is at 50% use.

• High altitude use: this generator is not recommended for high altitude use above 3,000 ft.
Thanks--I did see that...thought for the main reason the A/C, 10 hrs would be close at 50% or better...the db....did not research what that would equal, but understand

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Plus power is reduced 10 % if ran on propane. 69db is loud for close to trailer, but Im assumming you wont run it at night to piss off fellow campers at the camps, everywhere we camp hunt other then where you live is over 3000 ft elevation. The price is Great, BUT, In all honesty I would spend another 300 to get one of the quiet models. Ive got a 2250 generator, 39 db at 15 ft, thats pretty quite, But Im not running air unit in my tent.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bear--it did seem around the $600 range is where a "good"one starts...figured at $300 it was too good to be true...My thought, again, for the A/C as the primary as the battery and solar can run the lights and fans. Mostly to cool off the trailer if it was too hot and then run the fans and open windows for the night.

I plan to take out the microwave, so this is not going to be a need of the generator--I think, taking it out and having more storage is better use of the space. Beside, the microwave must be on power to work..have the stove for water and cooking...

-thanks

·
Registered
931 Posts

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Green--I have had a number of recommendations on the 3500 from Harbor Freight--believe it is the same one. Just thought a little pricey for what I am needing--and overkill....but...will look at the other as well--thanks!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The start-up current on a/c and motors is something like 3x the running/rated current. It is also hard to get that actual data/requirment. If you have a 30 A plug (110Vx30A=3300W) for shore power, you should look for something at least that big plus a little bit ( for my 30 A service, I use 2 @ 2000W, Hondas) and something even bigger if you have a 50A plug (110Vx50A=5500W). My son-in-law bought the Costco "Yamaha" which was only a Yamaha motor: NOT a true Yamaha and it would not pull his A/C even though on paper it should have. The true Yamaha is just as expensive as the Honda which is the gold standard. I do light the idea of LP gas but then you have that nock-down too. Also, the 3500W and larger generators are gut busters so 2 are easier to carry and you hook them together or run just one when you don't need the extra power. You pay for what you get on this one.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Again my opinion is that the 3500w is a good unit but too heavy and too loud, you not always need the full power and gas consumption with it. get the 2000w (light, quite low gas consumption). if you need more power buy another one and the connection box. your back will thank me. :)

Green.

Green--I have had a number of recommendations on the 3500 from Harbor Freight--believe it is the same one. Just thought a little pricey for what I am needing--and overkill....but...will look at the other as well--thanks!

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Big Tub....lost me at running....LOL

Think I get this...nice is that this is not urgent need. Have some time to look and ask/learn. Never had an A/C before when camping. Now, I have a fan that is strong to move air and it is more then I had before (used to just open flaps)....if I/when I, hit the road for a trip, can always hook up to power and run if needed

Welcome all thoughts--thanks again!

·
Registered
931 Posts
LOL, agree with you about the 2 small units,
I did not have good luck with the Honda generators.

Green.

The start-up current on a/c and motors is something like 3x the running/rated current. It is also hard to get that actual data/requirment. If you have a 30 A plug (110Vx30A=3300W) for shore power, you should look for something at least that big plus a little bit ( for my 30 A service, I use 2 @ 2000W, Hondas) and something even bigger if you have a 50A plug (110Vx50A=5500W). My son-in-law bought the Costco "Yamaha" which was only a Yamaha motor: NOT a true Yamaha and it would not pull his A/C even though on paper it should have. The true Yamaha is just as expensive as the Honda which is the gold standard. I do light the idea of LP gas but then you have that nock-down too. Also, the 3500W and larger generators are gut busters so 2 are easier to carry and you hook them together or run just one when you don't need the extra power. You pay for what you get on this one.

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Battery fans work great, No plug needed.

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
No Microwave, Your crazy. Pantry or storage put in a footlocker and store on your deck. I would use a Microwave more then oven for sure. And front deck is for the spa, and hauling extra water for it. And your big Generator, Dont buy cheap, Get Good, save yourself headaches later, ie- Wont start, burns to much fuel, wont carry load, ect.

Reactions: SteveG

·
Administrator
6,616 Posts
A licensed Electrician AND HVAC Contractor friend of mine told me #1 concern is that the designated generator will meet the amperage demand of the AC Unit's LAR (Locked Amp Rotor) rating. If it does not, it will kill the generator at Start Up. The ratings plate on the AC Unit should list the LAR. The link below might help you figure out your minimum generator requirements.

https://electricalbaba.com/locked-rotor-starting-current/

Reactions: SteveG

·
Registered
543 Posts
Steve,

If you are going to camp where you need the a/c get two 2000 watt units that can be connected together. If you really don't need air then a single unit will do the job. You can also look at an easy start mod for your a/c that's lets it start with less amperage.

Don't cheap out on the genny. Honda is the gold standard.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL----so yank the A/C and the Microwave out.....kidding

Appreciate the links and info--lots to learn and understand.....agree--not cheap for the sake of cheap....Hate to be stuck somewhere and need it and not have it work to save a few bucks

·
Registered
757 Posts
A lot of folks knock the Harbor Freight generators that Green recommended but read the reviews, those Predators rate highly and are on sale often, if and when I decide to purchase it will be one of these two units most likely, the 2000W are incredibly quiet.

When we bought our pop-up in 2012 my wife insisted on an A/C unit. Since that time it's been run 2-3 times at most. The standard fan on the camper is adequate in the higher elevations, I haven't had the desire yet to deal with lugging around a generator, and in the hot summer months if we camp in the heat we pick a place that has hook-ups. I've been in situations where I really wish I had a generator (Lee's Ferry) and I've camped and been really thankful we had power and cool air blowing (Dead Horse) so I'm glad it's there, I just haven't convinced myself I need to spend $600 on an adequately sized generator....yet.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SingleShot--great points! Not sure I need to shell out the $600 just yet. Again, the generator aspect is not urgent. Never had A/C before, never had power before--so...might just take the trailer out a few times and see. I did have the fan on and windows open, seemed to work pretty well to move air. Granted...I was in Denver and it was snowing....did not want the fan opening open long--just to see it work really...but it blew pretty well. If it is too hot, as you say, find a spot with a plug in....no issues

Thanks--

1 - 20 of 141 Posts