Arizona Hunting Forums banner

101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
OK--now comes the Operations questions....lol

1. It says to fill the tank with 87 octane or better gasoline--then elsewhere it says to use 87 gas with a fuel stabilizer. Is the fuel stabilizer needed or an option? I can read this both ways. If needed, is that like using 2 stroke equipment and adding oil (same thought process that is)?

2. It says to break in the generator for 30-hours. DO NOT exceed 75% of the running wattage. SO--this is telling me to just let it run for a full day? Or do it in 3-10hr days?

3. For the foam filter (need to verify that is the one there) it says to (as mentioned here as well) to soak in lightweight oil briefly. Is this the same oil I put into the unit? The SAE10-30? Or is it different?

4. It says if it is not to be used for about 20 days to fill the gas (with the stabilizer) and run it every 3 months for about 15 min. If I store it and use it monthly, what is the point of the 3-months? Seems I am using it and this really only applies if I am going to store longer then 3-months????

Thanks! Plan to get a plastic gas can and gas tomorrow and run it for the 30-hrs. Then hook it up to the trailer and run the a/c and see how it goes...all goes well, turn on the fridge...all goes well the TV....see what happens.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·

1. It says to fill the tank with 87 octane or better gasoline--then elsewhere it says to use 87 gas with a fuel stabilizer. Is the fuel stabilizer needed or an option? I can read this both ways. If needed, is that like using 2 stroke equipment and adding oil (same thought process that is)?

2. It says to break in the generator for 30-hours. DO NOT exceed 75% of the running wattage. SO--this is telling me to just let it run for a full day? Or do it in 3-10hr days?

3. For the foam filter (need to verify that is the one there) it says to (as mentioned here as well) to soak in lightweight oil briefly. Is this the same oil I put into the unit? The SAE10-30? Or is it different?

4. It says if it is not to be used for about 20 days to fill the gas (with the stabilizer) and run it every 3 months for about 15 min. If I store it and use it monthly, what is the point of the 3-months? Seems I am using it and this really only applies if I am going to store longer then 3-months????

Thanks! Plan to get a plastic gas can and gas tomorrow and run it for the 30-hrs. Then hook it up to the trailer and run the a/c and see how it goes...all goes well, turn on the fridge...all goes well the TV....see what happens.

Sorry--one more

5. Any recommendations on an extension cord? Or just a good quality house (orange) cord that I use outside?

·
Premium Member
110 Posts

Stabilizer if storing the genny. Otherwise go with fresh gas.

Just like a new truck, take it easy the first 30 hours. Make sure to warm it up for a few minutes first.

Same oil.

Again, if you use it regularly just make sure you use fresh gas.

Reactions: SteveG

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Sorry--one more

5. Any recommendations on an extension cord? Or just a good quality house (orange) cord that I use outside?
I would suggest a 14G extension cord at 25 feet or less and a 12G cord at 50 feet or less. The various voltage loss tables say 14G wire is good up to 56 feet. At that length the voltage loss is significant. That’s why I suggest 12G for anything longer than 25 feet.
I don’t have a clue what the “orange cord” is whatsoever.

Dave

Current (ampacity) Notes: The current ratings shown in the table are for power transmission and have been determined using the rule of 1 amp per 700 circular mils, which is a very conservative rating. For reference, the National Electrical Code (NEC) notes the following ampacity for copper wire at 30 Celsius:
14 AWG - maximum of 20 Amps in free air, maximum of 15 Amps as part of a 3 conductor cable;
12 AWG - maximum of 25 Amps in free air, maximum of 20 Amps as part of a 3 conductor cable;
10 AWG - maximum of 40 Amps in free air, maximum of 30 Amps as part of a 3 conductor cable.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
I would suggest a 14G extension cord at 25 feet or less and a 12G cord at 50 feet or less. The various voltage loss tables say 14G wire is good up to 56 feet. At that length the voltage loss is significant. That’s why I suggest 12G for anything longer than 25 feet.
I don’t have a clue what the “orange cord” is whatsoever.

Dave

Current (ampacity) Notes: The current ratings shown in the table are for power transmission and have been determined using the rule of 1 amp per 700 circular mils, which is a very conservative rating. For reference, the National Electrical Code (NEC) notes the following ampacity for copper wire at 30 Celsius:
14 AWG - maximum of 20 Amps in free air, maximum of 15 Amps as part of a 3 conductor cable;
12 AWG - maximum of 25 Amps in free air, maximum of 20 Amps as part of a 3 conductor cable;
10 AWG - maximum of 40 Amps in free air, maximum of 30 Amps as part of a 3 conductor cable.
Orange--the color of the cord I have in my garage...but will go get a new one that meets 14g <25'

Thanks! The answers to the other ?? makes sense as well--use the generator, no issues lol

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Orange--the color of the cord I have in my garage...but will go get a new one that meets 14g <25'

Thanks! The answers to the other ?? makes sense as well--use the generator, no issues lol
Steve,
Check the cord you have before spending money on something you may not need.
There should be somewhere along the insulation the wire gauge. It is usually molded into the insulation itself and could be hard to find. Something like, 120V AWG 14, or 14G, or something.
Dave

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
WHOOOOOO---so, I got gas, got the oil....Predator is running in the back yard. I was a bit nervous as it did not start for awhile...thought to walk away ---did that for about an hour. Started right up! Been running for about 10 minutes. Louder then I thought it would be, but acceptable in short burst I have to believe and those that would be around at a KOA place would expect some noise. Will run it for about an hour and then give it a rest...until tomorrow....then run it for most of the day I think THANKS AGAIN for all the help and guidance...plan, but Saturday to hook it up to the trailer and give it a run with some stress

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Well spoke too soon...maybe....just shut itself off. Mad sure the filter was moist (oil) put in a little more oil, full now...maybe too full...filled gas all the way (it was at half)...nada....will let it sit for a few and try again...YES--pushed in the 2 reset buttons just to be safe as well....love mechanical equipment--NOT....not my skill set by any means and will admit..get frustrated easy on this type of stuff, but...will learn to slow down if nothing else....lol

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Argh... I hate engine problems. Out of curiosity since I just bought a camping trailer, what amperage is this unit rated at?

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Calm Down Steve. May have overheated being new, I believe should be run 30 mins, then shut down, cool off, restart, repeat, then you should be Good to go, Just burning insiide up, just need to get rings set, ECT., My Genset is at Repair guy to do oil change,new fuel filter, tune up, fine tune carb and clean out if needed, I dont like dealing with issues either, I got enough Issues on JOBS and CUSTOMERS.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Calm Down Steve. May have overheated being new, I believe should be run 30 mins, then shut down, cool off, restart, repeat, then you should be Good to go, Just burning insiide up, just need to get rings set, ECT., My Genset is at Repair guy to do oil change,new fuel filter, tune up, fine tune carb and clean out if needed, I dont like dealing with issues either, I got enough Issues on JOBS and CUSTOMERS.

Yea--sure it is that easy...lol
Still not starting....but letting it alone --maybe till morning just to let it go....by then, expect it to start right up ;-)

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Maybe Dave Can help when he checks in later.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Steve,
When it was running how did the exhaust look? Blackish smoke, whitish-gray smoke, no smoke. How did it sound when running (besides loud)? Smooth, sputtering, up&down-up&down-up&down? Did any of the lights illuminate before it shutdown? Did you have the “ESC Throttle” on or off? It also has a “on-off” vent on the gas cap. Make sure it’s open when running and off when transporting. I see that is has a “Off,” “Run,” and “Start” position on a rotary switch. The “off“ position shuts off the fuel supply and shorts out the ignition (spark). In the “run” position the choke is “unset” and the fuel and ignition are live. The “start” position sets the “choke.” Once it was running you would move the switch to the run position.
Those reset buttons are only for the generator side not the engine side of the unit.
Please don’t be offended by my next question. Was there oil in the crankcase? You said “the filter was moist (oil) put in a little more oil, full now...maybe too full,,” Was that oil added to the filter or the crankcase? If added to the filter squeeze out as much as you can. Don’t overfill the crankcase.
And another question I pray that you will not be offended by. Does the owner’s manual provide any trouble shooting hints?
Gas engines require fuel, air, compression, and spark and the fuel:air ratio is important. Take the sparkplug wire off the plug and stick your pinky finger in the boot, grab the engine, and pull the starter rope, SLOWLY! If you’re cussing me out then you have spark. It’s possible then the engine is flooded (overloaded with gasoline).

I have family in town and am out of pocket this week. @Savageman2506 could probably help as well as any bunch of “gear heads.”

Dave

Reactions: SingleShot20G

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Steve,
When it was running how did the exhaust look? Blackish smoke, whitish-gray smoke, no smoke. How did it sound when running (besides loud)? Smooth, sputtering, up&down-up&down-up&down? Did any of the lights illuminate before it shutdown? Did you have the “ESC Throttle” on or off? It also has a “on-off” vent on the gas cap. Make sure it’s open when running and off when transporting. I see that is has a “Off,” “Run,” and “Start” position on a rotary switch. The “off“ position shuts off the fuel supply and shorts out the ignition (spark). In the “run” position the choke is “unset” and the fuel and ignition are live. The “start” position sets the “choke.” Once it was running you would move the switch to the run position.
Those reset buttons are only for the generator side not the engine side of the unit.
Please don’t be offended by my next question. Was there oil in the crankcase? You said “the filter was moist (oil) put in a little more oil, full now...maybe too full,,” Was that oil added to the filter or the crankcase? If added to the filter squeeze out as much as you can. Don’t overfill the crankcase.
And another question I pray that you will not be offended by. Does the owner’s manual provide any trouble shooting hints?
Gas engines require fuel, air, compression, and spark and the fuel:air ratio is important. Take the sparkplug wire off the plug and stick your pinky finger in the boot, grab the engine, and pull the starter rope, SLOWLY! If you’re cussing me out then you have spark. It’s possible then the engine is flooded (overloaded with gasoline).

I have family in town and am out of pocket this week. @Savageman2506 could probably help as well as any bunch of “gear heads.”

Dave

Never worry about offending me--it is difficult to do unless you start using "colorful" language directed at me lol

No smoke
Saw no lights
ESC Throttle, ON
Gas Cap Vent - On
Start Position

There seemed to be "Some" oil in the oil "place"...I have added a little more since it shut off--yes, the trouble shoot I read said it will do it if it gets low
Will look deeper in the book and see if it shows more, did not read any other reasons other then those above

LOL--Not ready to do the spark plug trick...lol
It has been sitting for about an hour...just started back up----as David said...just breaking in period .....

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Wait--think I read this wrong as well--

BTW--just shut off again....THe ESC is to be in the OFF position when you pull the Cable? When would you have this ON then?

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Wait--think I read this wrong as well--

BTW--just shut off again....THe ESC is to be in the OFF position when you pull the Cable? When would you have this ON then?
Check the manual, but I suspect you turn it “on” after it has warmed up. I think it causes the genset to only run as fast as required for the load you give it. It would be at near idle speed with nothing plugged in and would increase in speed as the load increases. The difference between “inverter” gensets and “contractor” gensets is how the voltage is regulated. Inverter types provide 120V regardless if it’s idling or running at full speed. The speed would increase as the load increases. Contractor gensets only provide 120V when they run at full speed. Slow the motor down and the voltage would drop off. The speed is “high” regardless if you hook up a 100 watt lightbulb or run a 3HP table saw. The motor would noticeably “lug” with the saw running but wouldn’t even break a sweat with the light bulb.

Dave

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
How long does it run before it shuts down.
D

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Going to bed. Moving to Tusayan tomorrow for a couple of days with guests.
D

101 - 120 of 141 Posts