Arizona Hunting Forums banner

121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
2BZ2 Is the Man !!! Hes got so much experience in the RVing field, we are all amatures compared to him, LOL.... I would use premium Fuel though, in all small engines, or the EXPENSIVE stuff you can buy like at ACE, that has no ethanol in it. Ethenol is the crap that gums up small engines because they dont usually have a computer in them to adjust for poor fuel Quality. I run the Caned fuel in all my extensive supply of yard tools I use weekly, Just saves heartache every time you want to use them. Does not plug up spark arrester as quickly. Good Luck SteveG, You will get this figured out, But, Canned fuel, Canned Fuel, and Canned fuel. You may be able to find Blue Fuel at a station, IDK, its ethenol free, Some Mavericks Have it, Get online and look. Ethanol just reduces emissions for our air quality.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
SO---my update....Just ran the unit for 30 minutes with no issues...shut it off and will let it cool down for a while then run it again for another 30---off and on through the day today and tomorrow. Again, the hope is to hook it up on Saturday and see what it will run in the trailer

DIFFERENCE this morning...ECO switch is OFF....I think I miss-read the instructions.
Maybe need to slow down my reading...but...Not seeing when to use the ECO switch....move to ON. Do you do this when you have a load on the generator?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Again, the hope is to hook it up on Saturday and see what it will run in the trailer
Hi Steve,

Hopefully you've got it resolved now. I was asking about amperage because when I bought my camping trailer (I am new to this...) the guy told me I would need a 30 amp generator to run the A/C unit. So I've looked around at generators and thought the Predator line at Harbor Freight was out of the running because they weren't rated high enough. If you get that thing to run the A/C (assuming you have A/C to run?), please let me know! Thanks

Nathan

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
LOL--ran it for a half an hour..turned it off to let it cool down...2 hrs later, still not able to start it back up. Is this normal for a generator? GAVINSPOP--will let you know how it works on the a/c if I get that far ;-)

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
LOL--ran it for a half an hour..turned it off to let it cool down...2 hrs later, still not able to start it back up. Is this normal for a generator? GAVINSPOP--will let you know how it works on the a/c if I get that far ;-)
Thank you!! And good luck Steve. I have a limited knowledge of small engines so these issues drive me nuts!

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Might think about taking it back and exchanging it for another.

My thoughts this morning as well--It has sat for about 4-hrs, just started back up. Going to let it run for about an hour --turn it off, and then see. My expectations is there is no cooling off time really required. IT was an open box/return...maybe that is the reason it was returned...

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
That could be. Who knows what the original buyer did or did not do to it. It should be able to run full time and start on first try. Mine does and it’s I don’t know how many years old.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
OK--going back tomorrow...ran it for 3 hours...shut it down for 10 min...would not start back up. Sat for another hour, nada
Nothing in the book is helping...maybe the reason it was brought back

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
OK---seemed like it had good reviews...went to Tractor Supply today after reading about their Champion Power Equipment 2000/1700-Watt Ultra-Light Portable Inverter Generator, 100478
Had one left on the shelf....2k start up and 1700 running. Weights about 40lbs. 11 hr run time

Brought it home...oil, gas....started right up...ran an hour...turned it off for 5 min....started right up...ran another hour....turned off for half an hour...started right up. Ran it for another 2 hrs. Will let it sit for the night. Tomorrow...turn it back on and run it for about 2 hrs. OH--and I charged my cell phone on it in less than an hour...Just to put a little "strain" on it...lol

Not the Predator--but Harbor Freight was not the best to deal with on the return...was not going to spend NEW cost for one.

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Great Steve, I was going to tell you that ACE hardware carries Generac, they had a 2500 watt unit on sale yesterday for about $550.00 bucks, Cant beat Ace on service or returns. I looked at Champion also, seemed like a Good Brand, Lots of the RV dealers sell them. My current Coleman Powerhouse, 1850, weighs in at a WHOOPING 56 lbs, A bit heavy for this old man, may leave in bed of truck and utilize a 25 ft 12 ga extension.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Great Steve, I was going to tell you that ACE hardware carries Generac, they had a 2500 watt unit on sale yesterday for about $550.00 bucks, Cant beat Ace on service or returns. I looked at Champion also, seemed like a Good Brand, Lots of the RV dealers sell them. My current Coleman Powerhouse, 1850, weighs in at a WHOOPING 56 lbs, A bit heavy for this old man, may leave in bed of truck and utilize a 25 ft 12 ga extension.
Tractor Supply had a 2500 for $499.but none available, have to order it. The guy told me the reason shelves were empty now was to support TX and LA in their needs....made it sound like a special order might take time as well

This 2000 was $449....started right up this morning, running for about an hour....going to let it run for another hour--that is the 5 hrs it required. Might put on a fan or two after and let those run for a bit...thinking of pulling my trailer and hooking it up--or even at the storage--next week...see what can be run with it...

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
@SteveG ,
Congratulations on getting a generator that works. Nothing wrong with Champions. A lot of RVers have them. Of course I said the same thing about Predator too.
I’ve been following on my phone but couldn’t do anything except read the posts. Most of the time I was roaming and didn’t want to rack up roaming charges or had no service.
I’m glad @Painter chimed in and recommended you return the Predator. I’m glad it worked out for you.

Hi Steve,

Hopefully you've got it resolved now. I was asking about amperage because when I bought my camping trailer (I am new to this...) the guy told me I would need a 30 amp generator to run the A/C unit. So I've looked around at generators and thought the Predator line at Harbor Freight was out of the running because they weren't rated high enough. If you get that thing to run the A/C (assuming you have A/C to run?), please let me know! Thanks

Nathan
@gavinspop
Nathan,
Steve and David’s (@bearfoot1) air conditioners are smaller residential type window units. If it is an “under-bunk” CoolCat found in some pop-up and A-Frame campers, then a 2,000 watt genset would work. If your camper has a rooftop A/C it would depend on its size to determine how large a generator you would need.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
LOL, My trailer is on smaller side, 6000 BTUs and Im Cold in about 10- 15 mins. My 1850 genset handles it real easy, Going to be nice at Hot ELK Camp, Ill Have company for sure. Ive got a buddy with a 12,000 BTU Roof Unit, and a single 2000 wont do it, He hooks 2 in tandem to get it to cool. Thanks Dave again for all your help to me and SteveG. We are both getting a bit smarter on RVing Do"s and Dont"s

Reactions: SteveG

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
LOL, My trailer is on smaller side, 6000 BTUs and Im Cold in about 10- 15 mins. My 1850 genset handles it real easy, Going to be nice at Hot ELK Camp, Ill Have company for sure. Ive got a buddy with a 12,000 BTU Roof Unit, and a single 2000 wont do it, He hooks 2 in tandem to get it to cool. Thanks Dave again for all your help to me and SteveG. We are both getting a bit smarter on RVing Do"s and Dont"s
Agree--much appreciated to everyone for their 2 cents of advice...every day getting a little more smarter....

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Blue Fuel or Ethenol Free, , Its the best, Maverick is going to build a new station in Star Valley, they are going to have it also. All my equipment runs on the " BLUE", No gummed up Carbs all winter long. Starts year round.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
@Big Tub ,
Thanks for the reminder! There’s a website I use called pure-gas.org. They have listings (by state) of E-0 gasoline stations throughout the U.S. and Canada.
Dave

Reactions: Green Vinca

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Nathan,
Steve and David’s (@bearfoot1) air conditioners are smaller residential type window units. If it is an “under-bunk” CoolCat found in some pop-up and A-Frame campers, then a 2,000 watt genset would work. If your camper has a rooftop A/C it would depend on its size to determine how large a generator you would need.

Dave
Hey thanks! I really appreciate that. I have a roof mounted unit, just not exactly sure what size. It's only a 19' camper. So can't be that big but i'll have to look it up. Thanks again Dave!

121 - 140 of 141 Posts