Ghillie Suit ?

Discussion in 'Archers Lodge' started by DutchmanAZ, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Anybody have a good source for a reasonable ghillie suit? I'm debating trying to make one myself.
    I'm also looking for a camo roll that I can spread out, prop up, whatever - just to make up use
    for lack of ground blind materials.
    Any ideas would be appreciated Thanks

2. Get in touch with AZSlim. I know he uses a ghillie and he also uses the camo material as a blind. He should be able to help you out.

3. TallPaul

TallPaul Guest

Ron, you can go to some of the fabric stores and buy it by the yard. You may have to check a few because they all carry diffrent patterns and colors. Even Wally World has some. You can check online Like JoAnn's.
    I don't know about the ghillie suit.

4. I bought my ghillie thru Cabela's. It is the Rancho Safari brand. I bought the leggings too but don't know that you really need them. I do wear them when still hunting but don't when sitting in a stand. I picked up the strip of camo burlap at WalMart a few years ago. Pretty sure you can get it at Sportsman's Warehouse too, I know a friend got some there last year.

5. Thanks everyone. I appreciate the tips. Should be enough to get me going.

6. You know what guys? I went out to the SW last night and priced some of the items I thought I'd need.
    Due to some rather odd things happening lately (when it rains it pours) I really don't have much $$ to spend, and
    most of the items up there simply aren't going to be purchased by me any time soon.
    I got to thinking a little bit, and have decided to do this hunt as old school as possible. I've found some sites on the
    net that show how to make a Ghillie suit out of burlap and may give that a try. I've also found sources for making a scent wash out of common household materials that I'll try as well to keep my scent down. I figure with a little creativity I should be able to come up with a workable solution.
    Not trying to start anything here at all, but a lot of animals have been bagged many years before me, and they didn't have all the stuff available to them that's on the market today. I figure I can do as well, or at least learn a whole bunch..

7. You can make your own cover scents real cheap and easy. If you are hunting the desert then strip some creosote leaves off a few bushes and boil them up and pour in a spray bottle, in the pine country pick a plant that is fairly common. You can use pine needles but they tend to make a sticky solution. I have a friend that has used diluted pine cleaner, like Pinesol, just a capful in a bottle of water. A simple scent eliminator can be made with baking soda and water. Either Outdoor Life or Feild & Stream put out a recipe for a scent eliminator in the last issue that used more ingredients, if I can find it I will post it. I also wear Savannah Scent-Lok gear and that's one I can't come up with a home version of. One thing that helps with scent is chlorophyl pills. You can pick these up at health food stores and you need to start them a week or so before you plan on hunting.

8. Thanks for the tips Slim!
    I saw the recipe in one of the mags as well, but I think I already tossed it.