Arizonahuntingforums.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hunted this general hunt in a new unit that I had not hunted before. I was given some tips as where to start by some friends though. The area that I had chosen to start was 8 miles from camp. I headed out and it took a little while to drive to the staging area. I got all my gear together and started hiking up to a large long ridge to stay the day. The plan was to glass one side (east) and then move a little to glass the other (west) and back and forth all day.

After glassing both sides and not seeing anything I moved just a little bit to glass up the canyon on the east side. After a few minutes I glassed up about 7 pigs that were just milling around and feeding. I gathered everything up and started the 1/2 mile trek across the canyon to the spot that I had picked out, a tall single boulder and low and behold the pigs were still there.

I got up to about 100 yards of them and took my pack off. I then proceeded to move about 20 yards closer and decided that this was close enough. I was using my newly acquired late production Winchester 1885 Traditional Hunter with Marbles imitation rear peep sight in 38-55 caliber.

Well like they say the rest is history. One shot later the pig flipped over and was down. After dressing the pig and strapping it to my pack I made the hike back to the road.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,744 Posts
Congrats! That is a good looking rifle!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Love it when it all works out

Reactions: Arizona Griz

·
Super Moderator
3,480 Posts
Great hunt!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are a couple pictures of the gun in question 28” octagon barrel (top gun) and his big brother 45-90 with a 34” octagon barrel and the ammo. Left to right, 38-55 255 gr., 45-90 300 gr. and a 200 gr. 300WM for comparison.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,744 Posts
Very nice, love the case hardening on the receiver

·
Registered
85 Posts
Congrats!!

·
Registered