GOULD's TURKEY HUNTING

Discussion in 'Small Game' started by goosehunter51, Mar 5, 2007.

1. I'm familiar with the Arizona Big Game Super Raffle. Is there any other legal way to harvest a Gould's Turkey in Arizona? Thanks, Greg

2. There is one unit that offers, like 2 tags a year besides the super raffle.

3. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

Yikes, a guy would probably have better odds at winning the Super Raffle than drawing one of two tags.

4. I believe that the ammount of tags is increasing, however you will still be more apt to draw the super raffle, then the tag. Or I believe that the NWTF, has one or 2 tag to auction off also. The game and fish along with the NWTF are currently transplanting goulds throughout southern AZ. I bet it wont be to long before the populations are up in the other places enough to hunt them.

5. Chief

Chief Guest

[​IMG]

About two weeks ago we took 40 out of the Huachuca's and transplanted them a little further north of us, we did likewise last year. Once all the trap and release is done, maybe in the next couple of years you should be seeing some increase in tags for 35a. The last two time we had a GT at Parker we had turkey going through our camp. Two tags were issued for 35a and I believe Fort Huachuca issued 4, with two being reserved for active duty military.

If any of you guys draw a Gould's tag let me know if'n you need some help.

6. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

Since I'm not your typical turkey hunting enthusiast, I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference.

What's the best way to identify the difference between a Merriam's and Gould's turkey?

Anyone have a picture of both species so we could do a side-by-side comparison?

Great picture Chief. Thanks for sharing.

7. taller

well the best way to tell is that the gould's is taller and the color on there tails i have photos i'll have to post on here i have been a big part of the NWTF for 7 years now and have watched the goulds go from no hunting to now there are tags :D its awesome to see these birds getting hunted again in the USA now you can get a SLAM here in the good o'l USA the NWTF gets two tags to do what the wish with one goes to the Nat'l conv and the other gets raffled off I.E. super raffle. and from what i hear yes there is going to be another one. this year hope this helps

8. Chief

Chief Guest

Have never hunted a wild turkey in my life, but have drank some Wild Turkey. However, once on a deer hunt in West Va I killed one that was apparently suicidal, he walked to about 10 feet of me and that he were he died. At that time you got two deer tags and two turkey tags when you bought your non-resident hunting license.
    I was involved in the original transplant from Mexico into Arizona, we kept the birds isolated at Ft Huachuca for a period of time prior to realease into the Huachuca's. They have thrived and now we are transplanting them all throughout the southern mountain ranges. We have a two day population count coming up shortly which I will probably help with. Merriams closely resemble the Goulds. Best way to distinguish between the two - Goulds are the largest breed in North America, have longer legs, larger feet and larger center tail and white tips on the tail feathers. The way I tell the difference is that if I'm in the southern part of the state it a Goulds :)

9. So should we ask them to show us their feet before we start blasting away?......:D

10. Chief

Chief Guest

But of course! No self-respecting turkey hunter would ever shoot a turkey without first checking foot size. As an experienced outdoorsman I would have thought you were well aware of that. Shame on you.