Green Chili

Discussion in 'The Chuck Wagon' started by AzSlim, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Start with 2 lbs of lean game, a big can of diced tomato's, a big can of whole chili's that I slice in 1/4" thick slices, 1 large sweet onion diced, 4 fresh jalepeno's - 2 seeded and 2 with the seeds left in, 2 cloves of garlic diced fine, seasoning salt, seasoning pepper, spicey Mrs Dash and a big blast of sweet hungarian paprika to bring out and blend all the other flavors. Don't know how much water, enough to cover the ingredients when you start and add a little more as time goes by. Cook in a crockpot over night and eat with grated cheese and tortilla for sopping the juice. If you have too much liquid then cook for a while with the lid off so the excess can steam out.

For those of you that can't take much spicey hot, the seeds and white membrane of a pepper contain the heat. If you take out the seeds and membrane the flavor of the pepper comes out without all the heat. My daughters can't take too much is why I seed and clean 2 of the peppers. Be warned, the longer something with fresh peppers ages the hotter it gets. If you don't have access to fresh hot peppers then canned will work.

2. Tried a new one tonight folks. I made Green Chili Enchilada's and I believe I will have to make them again.

Started with the backstraps from my javelina braised in olive oil with Mrs Dash, seasoning salt & seasoning pepper. Then dumped in 2 small cans of diced green chiles, 2 cans of diced tomato's, one whole head of garlic - about 8 cloves - sliced about 1/8" thick, one diced onion, a sprinkling of dried jalapeno's because I didn't have any fresh ones and 4 crushed chiltepin's. The chiltepins are little tiny peppers that grow wild in Mexico and have a great flavor and lots of heat. I let this cook in the crockpot for 6 hours then spooned the big chunks into tortilla's, added some diced onion, diced black olives and shredded cheese and rolled them up and stuck em in the baking dish. Then spooned some more green chili over them to get everything wet, added another sprinkling of diced onions, olives and shredded cheese and baked in the oven for 20 mins at 325. Well worth the time fellers.......

3. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

Sounds delicious. When's supper?

Oh yeah, you must really like garlic? 8 cloves... wow! :shock: It must take that much to disguise that "otherwise nasty" javelina?

Slim, have you ever pit-cooked one wrapped in wet/oiled burlap?

4. Yes we like garlic. But this is garlic that my bro-in-law grows up in Cedar City and it beats the store bought stuff hands down. Plus slicing versus crushing changes the output, not near as potent.

let me theach you how to take care of your game and you will never had a bad chunk Dan.

I haven't cooked javelina that way but have been to a couple pig roasts. If you decide to do it try stuffing the cavity with fruit - apples, oranges, pineapple, etc. Adds a real nice flavor to the meat. I do that when I cooker turkey on my Weber for Tginving or Xmas.

5. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

I've only eaten javelina once and it was cooked in a pit while at Roosevelt Lake. It was wrapped in burlap and wasn't half bad. Not sure how or what it was cooked with for spices or flavor enhancements, but it was tolerable to eat. My F-I-L was one heck of a chuck-wagon cook. You and he would have gotten along great. I sure hated it when he passed away.

6. Is this a record? A post to a thread, 4 and a half years later? I was talking with a friend about the 'eatability' of a javi. I still don't know. Online research (how I ended up here) doesn't promise much. But unless you're talking bugs or burglars, I don't kill it unless I can eat it. So I have to figure that out. This recipe sounds good. So maybe looking at a peccary hunt soon. In the meantime, I'll be testing this recipe with good old fashioned pig on the deer hunt this October!!

7. Jasper - my daughter got one and we had it made into chorizo. Can't tell the difference between it and store-bought!