Herb Garden

Discussion in 'The Chuck Wagon' started by Chief, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief Guest

How many of you have a herb garden?

We keep one going all years and it gets plenty of use, nothing like fresh herbs to put that special something into a good meal. Some that we are never without:

1. Parsley - Both flat and curly, flat for cooking curly for garnish
    2. Basil - like garlic you can never use to much
    3. Oregano
    4. Rosemary
    5. Sage
    6. Thyme

There are others that we plant but we are never without the ones mentioned above. Chives, cilintro, garlic, dill and many others also get planted and used on a regular basis.

2. Need to add some garlic to your garden. I have a bro-in-law in Cedar City that grows several different types of garlic and I always get a few lbs from him every year. Sure can tell the difference in a meal when you use fresh versus dried. He also grows several different herbs and when we go up to visit we hit the garden before dinner each night and figure out what we are going to add. We(he) makes some killer grub in the dutch oven.

3. Chief

Chief Guest

We do grow garlic, I have it listed in that second group. The problem I have is that I haven't been very succesful at getting it to grow, however I do plant some every year. It starts out great then for some reason or another it dies out on me. Any hints would be appreciated.

4. Can't help you there other than maybe try planting in Jan/Feb time frame. I planted some in the backyard this spring and while the plants came up and looked good there were no bulbs on the end....... :(

Thought I would try again this spring only plant them much earlier, think I put them in the dirt at the end of Mar/beginning of April.

5. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

The key to garlic and scallions are sandy soils. Chief, mix/turn some sand in where you'll plant your garlic. Fertilize this soil mix during the winter and lightly water once each month. I'd plant my garlic as soon as possible after the last freeze, albeit you don't get many of those where you live.

You should see/taste the wild onions that grow north of here (Navajo Reservation) in the 6000-6500 ft elevation. Sweeter than vadalias and mayan sweets.

Navajo folklore suggest that it's "when the fog lays on the ground, that Mother Earth plants the onions". It was a Navajo girl who showed me these onions. I thought the stalks were some sort of succulent gamma grass. Duh! :oops: I couldn't believe my eyes when she dug out an onion. She said when she was a young girl, they always went onion digging after the heavy fogs.