How it Really Happened

Discussion in 'Happy Trails' started by m gardner, May 16, 2007.

  1. How it Really Happened

    When I was younger my friends and I were a never ending source of entertainment for the small town I grew up in. There are dozens of good stories about our feats that are still told to this day. They barely resemble the originals and some have catapulted us to legendary status. This is one of those stories, but how it really happened. The deer is smaller, it took only one day to complete, we used rifles ( not knives ) and the hunters are truly human.
    Vermont’s muzzleloader season hadn’t been going especially well. Low temperatures and deep snow had made hunting unbearable. Joe and I had seen several good bucks but hadn’t been able to connect. This was a spot in the Green Mountain National Forest and had few deer to begin with, that we had seen any at all was a miracle in itself. The only effective way to hunt was to find a buck track and follow it to the buck. So far we’d seen 4 and this was our last chance on the last day.
    We drove to the end of the Rootville Road and walked the next two miles in. We crossed several sets of tracks, one of which belonged to a large buck. You could tell for sure by the antler marks in the snow when he put his head down to feed. We decided to go above and I left Joe and started to hook up around the top of the mountain. I picked up two other bucks but they saw me before I got close enough to shoot with the smokepole. At 150 yards it’d been easy with my .270. They just got up and walked away into the brush. I was too tired to go further into the woods after them so I started down towards the other deer we’d found earlier.
    Awhile later I heard a shot and was sure Joe had his buck. I made my way down and next thing I knew there was a big buck coming towards me. At 75 yards I led him a bit and shot. He immediately went down but was up and moving again. After a ways he stopped and bedded. I was reloading and next thing I know here comes Joe all wild eyed and funny looking. He said I’d just shot his buck and I couldn’t have it. I tried to quiet him down, explaining that the deer needed some more shooting but he’d just about lost his mind at that point and was telling me how he’d shot him right through the heart (small intestines) and couldn’t believe the deer had made it this far! About then the deer staggered to his feet and ran off. The look on his face was priceless to say the least! As the buck ran off we both shot to no effect. We caught up with the deer after a ½ mile or so and I shot him again but too high in the chest. Joe’s gun wouldn’t fire. Pretty pathetic shooting for two of Vermont’s finest deer hunters.
    This left us with no bullets and a very live buck deer. Oh well, only one thing to do. I got out my knife and started for the deer and Joe tackled me yelling “No, don’t he’ll kill ya”. We wrestled for a bit and I finally got hold of him, stood up and told him under no uncertain terms we had to finish the deer. During the wrestling match I’d managed to keep the knife and not hurt anyone and still had it in my hand as I gripped Joe’s collar. That really freaked him out and he ran off a ways to watch my certain demise. The deer had little strength left and kicked me weakly as I finished him. We gutted him and dragged him to the road where I asked Joe if he wanted to tag him seeing he shot him first. He did.
    The next day Joe took the buck to the reporting station and the gossip started. He told everyone what a wild man I was (they agreed and laughed) and how I’d stole his deer then gave it back! He swore he shot it to which one fellow replied “Is that why there’s so many holes in him?” His brother finally told him just to be thankful he did recover the deer at all. There’s a fine for whining in Vermont and I think Joe’s still paying it off, with intrest!
    As close as I remember that’s what really happened. Or maybe?


    Attached Files:

  2. AZ~ThunderDan

    AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

    Cool story Mark, thanks for sharing.

  3. The story they tell these days is slightly embellished as are most in the backwoods of the northeast. We spent 3 days and nights in subfreezing cold with a bag of Oreo's and a liter of Pepsi as our only food. Our rifles were useless so we ran the deer down and used our knives. Survivorman would be proud!