Arizona Hunting Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum and have been doing a lot of reading. I moved to the area in February this year and would really like to get to know the lay of the hunting land. I hail from Texas where I have been ranch/rifle hunting deer for many years and also an avid wing shooter. I live for dove season, hunt ducks, geese, quail, pheasant and just about anything else that moves. For those of you familiar with TX hunting, it is quite the opposite of AZ. Private lands, public game vs. public lands and private game (tags required).

I recently aquired a bow and hope to be a decent shot by November, as it seems this is the only way I will be able to hunt anything other that coyotes this coming seasons, but have no idea where to even start! Dove should be fun and I noticed lots of ducks in the local waters back in Feb, so that looks fairly promising too.

I have moved to Avondale west of Phoenix and do not know a single outdoorsman in the region. Believe me, I am not cyber scouting for holes, but would love some direction of where to start walking, scouting, and driving for various game. If anyone in the west valley is looking for a hunting partner with an overweight Brittany that loves to pick up birds, let me know.

Also, if anyone is familiar with any local clubs, organizations, groups that could get me heading in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. I am excited about all the challenges and rewards AZ has to offer to the outdoorsman and can't wait to start. Any direction or assistance would be great!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hello kolsenttu, welcome nice group of people here. I also hunt everything I can get a tag for or is legal, archery, blackpowder, rifle, and a little wing shooting. For quail its easy you can go in just about any direction and find them, anywhere north of wickenburg area has always been good for me. For dove from where you are go sw find any water and you are good, only dont expect to have it to yourself. Ben avery is a good place to shoot your bow or rifle and pick up any additional info on clubs organizations etc. I cant help you with the duck hunting, thats one I havent done, but would like to sometime.Good luck

Ron

·
951 Posts
We have a lease in texas for deer and turkey..talk about the land of plenty
I tell people if you saw that many rats in one place you would think it was a plague

Way different here
only one deer a year ...they ahve the licenses kinda screwy as your license and deer tag expire at years end not at the end of a season
they are purchased seperately the OTC is for archery only and pay attention to the open areas and dates..there are mulies and coues deer coues deer make texas deer look big

They are trying to make all archery deer tags a draw also :(

all other big game is a lottery

plenty of coyotes to call for rabbits

·
Administrator
6,607 Posts
:welcome: kolsenttu, hope to see you here often.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Welcome,

Enjoy the state, and this place. Lots of good folk on here. As for wing shooting we have a pretty good spot down here in the southeast corner of the state. Its a bit of a drive for you, but I think amongst the lot of us in the area you might find someone to show you around. And not have to have a shoot out to find a spot with dove. LOL.. I should be out and about with an unknown number of the kids for the dove seasons this year.

And if this year old the same as the last several, we will try and throw a dove hunt somewhere in the state for everyone on here. It hasent worked quiet as planned as of yet, but maybe this year will be the kicker. LOL..

Shane

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the warm welcomes. I have found the Game & Fish guys here to be quite helpful. i think I'm starting to find my way around a little. Hope to be able to contribute more, once I get hunting here.

G

·
I have moved to Avondale west of Phoenix and do not know a single outdoorsman in the region. Believe me, I am not cyber scouting for holes, but would love some direction of where to start walking, scouting, and driving for various game. If anyone in the west valley is looking for a hunting partner with an overweight Brittany that loves to pick up birds, let me know.
:welcome: Sorry I never hunted the west side YET. I can't help you there. Some members may be able to hepl you out there. Welcome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts