Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Want to let you all know that Hunt of a Lifetime will take any tags that you wont be able to use this fall as we all are getting ready to find out if we drew tags for Elk and Antolpe remember those kids that may never have another chance to hunt a big game animal again. I have talked with Don Martin on this and the young man who got Norm's big horn tag that young man is still fighting for his life and when Don took that sheep back to him that was so awesome. if i drew a tag it would go to HOAL. if you cant use it donate it .
thanks

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
How do you go about donating a tag?

Shane

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok

well go to

www.hoalarizona.org

and you can contact them your contact should be Terry Petko what kind of a tag do you have that needs to be donated? if you dont mind me asking? and you can write it off on your taxes also cause they are a NON-profit 501 c good luck

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Oldest daughter has decided she will eat things but not kill them. She wants to donate a 27 jr turkey tag. Starts April 20. So I figure the sooner the better. Shes adamate about not wanting to kill something, and I dont want the tag to go to waste.

#2 on the other hand wouldnt give hers up for anything. They both drew tags. But the oldest is going to go along to video #2's hunt. Go figure.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh ok

oh ok i see what your saying yeah your best bet is to get ahold of terry petko like i said he would be the one to talk to you. sorry to hear that your daughter doesnt want to kill anything. maybe in time she will. least she eats the meat you bring home. good luck with it.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I'm more then a little confused about this as she has been out armed ( with her 42#recurve no less) and chasing critters with me since she was 10. However she has never actually had a chance to release an arrow. it was her choice to hunt with the recurve and she is able to shoot it well. Just could not get close enough. But thats archery. I am not going to push her either way. this was her decision, She just sent Terry an e-mail. With any luck the tag will still be useful. I hope its not to late to get everything set up. Hopefully we will hear back tomorrow.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
uumm

wow well its all new to gun hunting and turkeys are different from small game she will see how much fun it is and want to try it. just keep taking her out in the field with you. in time she'll be out there with you hunting and out shootin you also. Terry should get back with you tomorrow i bet the tag will get used by someone.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I've a feeling this decision was based alot on peer pressure. but again i dont want to push her at all on this. Shes pretty hard headed. I hope she will get back into it. And know she will probably go out with me again. I'm trying to talk her into learning how to use an elk call. With hopes she can call for me this fall. And I know she will be back out with me this Sept for the archery deer season. So we will go from there.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh

oh yeah didnt think about that yeah other kids i bet thats what happned. oohh bet that would be fun for her to learn how to use an elk call and help you on your hunt this fall then she'll get back into it. take her to a 3-D shoot by where you live and that might get her back into it also.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Going to give the 3d thing a try here one of these days. But cant seem to get coordinated with my schedule and the shoots. But at least shes still willing to go out. And if she doesnt get into it again thats ok also. And I still have 2 others that havent hit 10 yet. The boy is 6 and chomping at the bit to get out. Daughter #3 I dont know about. But we'll get to that one when she gets old enough. But thats kids for you. Got to love them.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah

yeah thats so true aout kids my husband has 3 girls and not one of them hunts its so sad but thats life. about 3-Ds if you get the time and try it you'll love it we have a shot once a month its so much fun and when we shot we dont shot to score we shot to kill. hope it all works out for you. in the long run. have a good one good luck let me know what happens with HOAL.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Coues, my oldest decided she didn't want to kill on our first elk hunt. I said no problem. Then her little sister got an elk and she decided maybe she could kill, just didn't happen on that trip. She did decide not to hunt deer that year even tho she had a tag, something about bambi. Then she took her first pig and decided that maybe hunting was for her after all. Seems the difference between a pig & a deer is pigs are smelly, stinky & ugly. but once she took her first animal it changed her attitude and she has since missed several deer and taken an elk.

Even if your oldest doesn't change her mind about killing there are still some great times to be had in camp with Dad, or so my girls tell me.

·
Administrator
6,604 Posts
AzSlim said:
Even if your oldest doesn't change her mind about killing there are still some great times to be had in camp with Dad, or so my girls tell me.
Of course, that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that Dad is a great camp cook. :roll:

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I hope your taling about Slim and not me . I have never been accused of being a good cook. A good eater maybe but not a cook.

And I plan on letting the oldest figure things out for herself. Shes always invited on everything we do, and has volunteered to video #2's turkey hunt. So its a start back into it. And if she dosent get back into it thats alright also. Shes a good kid on a hunt. And has followed me around with a bow for several years. Shes come close to getting within her range several times. But never was able to get that last 10-15 yards. All of those critters were within range for me, but wanted her to get the shot first. But thats hunting. And her choosing the recurve to start out with was pretty exciting. Knowing full well that was one of the hardest hunting tools she could have picked. But it was her choice. And now that she has made this decision, well , not much I can say. I bet she will still follow me around on my hunts. And still trying to get her to figure out the elk calls, so I can have another caller this fall. We;ll see what happens.

Shane

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Got an e-mail back this morning, he did not say whether he has a hunter to give it to or not . but I did not expect that. I will get her on it as soon as she gets home form school. Should have it in the mail this afternoon. I hope they can find someone to use it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i'll let you know

i will let you know i know terry and my other friend is a guide for HOAL so one way or another if they are having yousend it in then thats great i would say they have someone in need then. terry wont have you send it in if he doenst have a kid for the tag. but will keep you updated on it maybe if the kid tags out i can get a pix and post it on here for u if you want ?

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
That would be neat, but dont want to step outside of the rules they have. As long as it gets used I will be happy. Either way. But would be good to know if it was used that the tape got peeled off of it. LOL...

Shane

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok

well i just emailed terry and asked him if a guy ha contcted him about donating his daughters turkey tag and hoped that it would get used and i'll see what he says an pass it on as soon as i hear back from him. and as for getting a pix that wont be a prob cause they post them on the website and i'll just ask terry or Don if i can cross post it. i also hope the paper gets taken off the back lol

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok

ok i got an email back from Terry and he said once he got the tag in hand he would try and match it up to a hunter so keep your fingers crossed i'll keep in touch with him about it and keep you up dated also.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts